All-Star Air Horns

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Can we please talk about air horns at competitions. I absolutely hate them!! They are obnoxious and should be banned. I think judges should give deductions every time someone blows one! Does anybody else feel this way .... or am I alone on this one? Just curious.

No, you aren't alone. The smaller local comps (think small arenas, high schools) are the worst!! Such a small area for allof that noise. It is beyond obnoxious to have to listen to 300 people blow those things every time a team from their gym comes out, and the competition ends up running behind schedule because you can't hear the MC over those things. There is NOTHING wrong with having some pride and being supportive. But there is a line.

I don't think they should give deductions everytime someone blows one, but I do think that there should be courtesy rules. I honestly don't like standing next to someone who has an air horn.. it hurts my ears a lot. I mean, I LOVE when a crowd is pumped up and makes a lot of noise, but I honestly feel that air horns are obnoxious..

I don't think they should give deductions everytime someone blows one, but I do think that there should be courtesy rules. I honestly don't like standing next to someone who has an air horn.. it hurts my ears a lot. I mean, I LOVE when a crowd is pumped up and makes a lot of noise, but I honestly feel that air horns are obnoxious..
ETA.
I do think that they should be banned though, they can sometimes be distracting during a performance.

I bring them to comps. I blow it when they come out and when they are done and never during someone elses performance. I don't like it when people blow them during the performance. Is it just because they're loud? I'm known for bringing them to our comps, and the kids on our team love it. I'm sure many people feel the same as you :)

I bring them to comps. I blow it when they come out and when they are done and never during someone elses performance. I don't like it when people blow them during the performance. Is it just because they're loud? I'm known for bringing them to our comps, and the kids on our team love it. I'm sure many people feel the same as you :)
It's not just because they're loud. It's because it's the most annoying noise to have blown right in your ear, 25 times in a row, while waiting to watch a team. Most people aren't as kind as you are and they will blow it during a routine every time something hits. I hate when I go to watch a video on youtube and all I can hear is airhorns blowing. Airhorns have a purpose, like to signal when you need help. NOT at a cheer competition with people standing together like a bunch of sardines. They need to be banned.

I don't mind air horns as long as the blower uses proper noise-maker etiquette. I have a red, blinky whistle and try to conduct myself in a manner which, while still very loud and obnoxious, is respectful of those nearby. For example, when using a loud noise maker, turn to those around you and say "Sorry, I'm gonna blow my air horn now, you might want to plug your ears." For me, this is sufficient.

It's not just because they're loud. It's because it's the most annoying noise to have blown right in your ear, 25 times in a row, while waiting to watch a team. Most people aren't as kind as you are and they will blow it during a routine every time something hits. I hate when I go to watch a video on youtube and all I can hear is airhorns blowing. Airhorns have a purpose, like to signal when you need help. NOT at a cheer competition with people standing together like a bunch of sardines. They need to be banned.

I agree with you that the airhorns are annoying, but there's a lot in our industry that doesn't serve a purpose. The whole thing could be done without the lights, flashy uniforms and makeup, big bows, expensive convention centers, but isn't it all part of the show? :)

lovecheering said:
Can we please talk about air horns at competitions. I absolutely hate them!! They are obnoxious and should be banned. I think judges should give deductions every time someone blows one! Does anybody else feel this way .... or am I alone on this one? Just curious.

They can't give deductions bc then there'd be teams blowing them for the teams performing lol! We'd have to have air horn police posted in every row of seats. I hate them too though! I wish they would just ban them at all events as a safety hazard. One of our fans blew one during a small comp thousands of years ago and it caused a flyer to startle and mis-step on her walk in lib. She fell and we got a deduction. I banned them after that!

add whistles to the list. I honestly don't mind any of them at large venues used once or twice before and after performances, but I have seen people use them during ENTIRE routines and it is so distracting and annoying and completely ruins the video if you are recording.

Yes! I can't stand them and especially because these parents get too excited and will ring it obnoxiously. Ring once or twice, not every single second until the team's music starts.

Whenever I see Twisters Elite at a comp the parents always have tons of air horns! lol
"Twisters elite, we're number one!" - always stuck in my head after, they have tons of dedicatedfans lol. (And I don't mean that in a bad way!)

ugh air horns are the worst. cowbells or bells of any kind aren't bad if used sparingly. we used to have this one dad at the gym who had a bell and if everything in that sequence hit, he'd ring it, so we'd know how we were doing. it always sucked when you didn't hear that bell after like tumbling or pyramid :(

Back