OT Alternate Or Replacement

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Should I let my team get an alternate/replacement for me?

• No, you should continue to compete

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 22, 2011
This season has been rough. I'm on an ICE team and a HS team and their times conflict all the time. I tore my ACL and have been out most of the season and was estimated to be released last week, most cheerleaders know that the release time is never right. It wasn't right, I didn't get released leaving my HS team to compete with me marking the whole routine this past Saturday. ICE's first competition isn't until the end of Nov. so i don't have much to worry about there. I'm now scheduled to get released in less than 4 weeks. I pleaded the head coach (HS) to get an alternate all summer and beginning of the school year for me, she refused and told me I could get all my tumbling, basing, etc. back in a week. (<<i have no idea where she got this idea) At the competition we looked a mess and got second to last (3/4 of the mess wasn't my fault). Regionals is in 2 weeks and state is the week after. My teammates always talk what I'm going to do for the competitions, why i didn't get an alternate etc. They also complain how I get out of practices all the time and how I don't do anything. They scheduled over my all-star practice and expected me to be at their practice majority of the time and the things I don't do are out of fear that i'll re-tear my ACL. There's been tons of talk trying to get an alternate for me in the team at practices. I just got a text from my coach telling she wants to "talk" to me. I assume it's about an alternate. My mom isn't accepting it and is fed up with all this crap that they're giving me about not doing anything for the team and such, she thinks they should've gotten an alternate when I asked... On the other hand I kinda want them to get one because they're not gonna do very well without one, but then again I'm not okay just being kicked off a team for an injury.... Don't get me wrong I'm all for my team winning and having a great season, but i don't get how it's okay for the team voting for me to get an alternate/replacement? I feel like I'm getting kicked off, and have no idea what to do or say about it.

What are your opinions? Should I tell my coach no I want to keep competing? or should I quit? Has this happened to you? anything?

I think that they should have had an alternate for you from the very beginning. Not only is it stupid to expect you to be able to cheer 100% a week after being released, it's also dangerous. Let them get the alternate. It doesn't sound like they know what they're doing anyways.

Much better for both you and the team to get an alternate. People don't understand unless it happens to them, and it seems like your coach doesn't understand the limitations coming back from a serious injury like that as well as your team not completely understanding why you can't be doing everything 100% yet. That is a bad combination......you don't want to have them push you too much and reinjure yourself to be out for the entire year rather than just a few high school competitions. Getting an alternate while you regain strength and ability will lessen your stress, be better for the team so they can go full out with every member, and let you be completely ready for your season with ICE. Accept it, remind yourself that you thought it was a good idea from the very begining to have an alternate, and start getting back into the swing of things slowly, knowing your limits. Before you know it, you will be perfectly fine and ready to compete again!

I really appreciate your comments, but it looks like there's nothing I can really do :( ... I talked to some of my team mates and they told me that they talked about it at practice... they're not getting an alternate they're actually just kicking me off, apparently they're doing this to a couple other people too? because one girl got rushed to the ER the morning of competition and couldn't compete, and it's her fault we lost i guess??? She got yelled at by the coach and got a bunch of crap from our team. So, at sunday's practice they brought in two people from JV to learn part of the routine before either of us knew anything about it. with regionals in 2 weeks??? I guess she's calling me tomorrow to confirm...

Well if the coach is like that then maybe its better off anyways......focus on ICE i guess and just take the whole situation as a learning experience. Adults dont always make adult decisions or handle situations tactfully. Maybe its a blessing in disguise.

I really appreciate your comments, but it looks like there's nothing I can really do :( ... I talked to some of my team mates and they told me that they talked about it at practice... they're not getting an alternate they're actually just kicking me off, apparently they're doing this to a couple other people too? because one girl got rushed to the ER the morning of competition and couldn't compete, and it's her fault we lost i guess??? She got yelled at by the coach and got a bunch of crap from our team. So, at sunday's practice they brought in two people from JV to learn part of the routine before either of us knew anything about it. with regionals in 2 weeks??? I guess she's calling me tomorrow to confirm...

Talk to the Athletic Director.

Back