All-Star An Article About Varsity Brands...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Totally get what you're saying...but this law is not a national law... It's a California law... Therefore we wouldn't have equal opportunity against all the other states that are not regulated... Unless they chose to adopt the law as well. And while I say 10 month season... The full 10 months is optional and only for those who choose to compete. My sideline JV/Varsity is able to participate in spring sports if they choose while my competition signs on for additional practice time and extended season. What I meant is: as a whole... Our program runs from summer through nationals in March... As we try to provide representation for all athletics at their games. (Which run year round) Im not at all against the idea of breaking things up into seasons. What Im saying is outside of regulating practice times and coach credentials (something our district already implements) ... And yes our practice times are regulated... Technically into seasons w/ a 6 week break to separate fall and spring and limited activity per squad commitment... HOW are they creating a safer invironment by calling it a sport? To me, if a coach is holding practice in a school hallway ,common sense would imply that coach is not qualified and NFHS ruling already states the regulations on surfaces and appropriate practice space, attire and stunt material. Also, I'm not sure if you coach or are aware of the stress holding an academic schedule, an extensive practice schedule and cheering a game puts on a cheerleader. New material is often ALWAYS learned to be performed for various occasions, it isn't like soccer where a skill and game system is practiced and then matched with limited variables. Cheer just has too many variables. It's not a "single skill "Sport".... It requires: dance, stunt, cheer, acrobatics, gymnastics.... And it often has "rookies" that need to be taught basics from the ground up EVERY year. These are skills that can't be learned in a month or two. Hate to say it, but learning to toss up a 100lb girl without dropping her... Or throwing a backhand spring And doing it in a manner that it technically sound and safe, just takes time. By decreasing the amount of learned application you essencialy alienate anyone with limited to no experience from growing with and joining a more moderately experienced squad. This is why I run practice all summer. For sideline my goal is to get as much accomplished in off season so as to not interfere with academics and regular student life on season. Literally for my sideline squads it's... Learn it all in the summer to dust it off and polish it for the school year. I don't want my kids stressing over a rally routine the week of homecoming when they have a huge test that Thursday... So everything is pre planned in summer and plugged in for season. Outside of learning a cute new sideline or pyramid... I try to create as little stress for my kids during calendar school year. You make some really great points...please don't get me wrong... I completely see your perspective. I am all for the safety of cheer. 100% it's the foundation of my program and while many squads don't follow rules/regulations and while I clearly see the intent of the bill and feel it is meant as a "good thing"... I just want to make sure that it is ACTUALLY doing some good if I'm supporting it. I suppose I'm just not clear. You've all made great cases though!
DEAD ON. We aren't like other sports. The amount of material a HS cheerleader has to learn is insane. If you cheer at least one game per week, and cheer at pep rallies, and attending multiple competitions, you have to learn a LOT. Not to mention, you have to be constantly gaining skills, as a team and as individuals. It is totally unrealistic to expect a kid to learn all of that during the school year, while staying on top of their grades. Especially for juniors doing college apps. CIF and all other state athletic associations need to take that into account.

DEAD ON. We aren't like other sports. The amount of material a HS cheerleader has to learn is insane. If you cheer at least one game per week, and cheer at pep rallies, and attending multiple competitions, you have to learn a LOT. Not to mention, you have to be constantly gaining skills, as a team and as individuals. It is totally unrealistic to expect a kid to learn all of that during the school year, while staying on top of their grades. Especially for juniors doing college apps. CIF and all other state athletic associations need to take that into account.
Virginia's been doing it for years and years. While we did have like 3 weeks of practice in august prior to school starting, this was still plenty of time for everyone to learn cheers, dances, etc for sideline as well as our comp routine for when we competed in October. I'm sure it's hard to make the transition to being considered a sport, but many states are able to make it work while still producing very talented teams.

Yep, we did all of this in Maine too. As a sport. With a preseason. And rules. While staying on top of my grades. And winning multiple debate state championships. And doing other extracurriculars.

ETA I also came in to my first year of cheering with zero cheer experience. (12 years of dance, yes, but no actual cheer experience.)

Yep, we did all of this in Maine too. As a sport. With a preseason. And rules. While staying on top of my grades. And winning multiple debate state championships. And doing other extracurriculars.

ETA I also came in to my first year of cheering with zero cheer experience. (12 years of dance, yes, but no actual cheer experience.)
Wow, you did a lot!

Wow, you did a lot!

7APs, one ice hockey state championship, three debate state championships, danced competitively for three teams, and cheered for two fall seasons to try to look more well-rounded.

Yeah. A lot.

ETA: I work in journalism now, and one thing I didn't actually join in high school was the school newspaper.

That's why I always laugh when people ask "what good will this be in 10 years" regarding people flying away to teams. Probably nothing, but who cares? My life has shaped me in to who I am today...and I think I'm pretty cool.

Last edited:
Back