All-Star Anyone Having Trouble Getting Released From Their Old Gym?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

OK, I know I said I was giving up, but I had to come back. Don't you have to sign something at the beginning of the season? I've always had to sign something when my daughters register saying that I understand that allstar cheer is a commitment. It was pretty specific--that we were agreeing to be financially liable to the gym for the whole season, and that our kids understood that they were committing to a team for the season. Possibly (?) not totally enforceable, and not exactly what you mean, but I still wouldn't say there's "NO parental signature or release"--I had to sign about 6 or 7 pages worth of stuff at the beginning of the season. If a gym doesn't have something like this in place then maybe they should. Even the little tiny gym we went to our fist season had this. And I'd imagine if this rule does go into effect for all levels, any gym with half a business sense would add a form that states the rule very clearly as well as very clearly spell out their procedures for release. I hope...
I think I remember something like this for my old gym, and it was a small gym. I was over 18 so I could just do all the paperwork myself, but I vaguely recall the parents having to sign certain things for everyone 18 and under..granted it was 2 years ago, but I imagine it's still the policy now. I don't see how you could feasibly allow kids to participate in a sport of this caliber/financial cost WITHOUT parent or guardian signature/involvement..If I were my mom I wouldn't have trusted HS me with a couple thou's worth of money transactions for ANYTHING.

You have to compete with a gym first. So, no, in your example SJ would be fine to go onto the level 5 team. She would actually have a few months to decide.

As for the athlete getting kicked off? I totally think that shouldn't fall into the category of this rule. It should only apply if anathlete chooses to leave.

And there really has got to be some sort of appeals process! How is the USASF making all these rules and then not helping keep them enforced FAIRLY? That's insane--that'd be like having states make laws and then letting the police enforce them with no courts. If they need more "manpower" like Rudags said, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to help out.

Thank you for responding. I'm sure I could have found these answers by looking in 5 minutes, but it's also fun to see who knows the answers to these questions! I agree-- I wouldn't want to live in a state with no court....

It absolutely sucks. Not going to lie. But, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. And, mind you, this ONLY affects Worlds. One competition a year. She can go cheer at another gym on another level, be happy at another gym on a 4 or non worlds seeking 5, and then be happy with her transfer. And she can locally spread the word to her old friends of that gym and their tactics. Shady business practices will catch up with them at some point. But if you make exceptions for certain situations where do you draw the line? Best advice is choose a gym where you find the owners to be forthright and honest.

So you think a process should be put in place where you can contest a situation, such as @ACEDAD 's? Or should things just remain the same?

This rule is like a double edged sword...it does protect teams from losing athletes "looking" to ditch out from their team for a team headed to Worlds, but in some cases it might give a bitter gym owner the power to hold back a kid that might of had some valid reasons from leaving their gym. I think there should be a grievance board set up for such cases, that way this new rule is fair to all.

So you think a process should be put in place where you can contest a situation, such as @ACEDAD 's? Or should things just remain the same?

ACEDAD's said situation is TOO difficult. What if the child paid on time but was absolutely horrendous to the other kids. The child says it was because of skills, but the coach says it was because of showing up late to practice and general misbehaving. And how do you prove who is lying? I am sure there is probably some truth on both sides, but how do you know? Parents will threaten crazy legal things if they don't like where their kid is. You are assuming one side is 'right' and one side is 'wrong'.

Honestly if there is no appeals process and it is just the rule is better to enforce. I would be fine with an appeals process if you move, but that would have to be talked about.

This rule is like a double edged sword...it does protect teams from losing athletes "looking" to ditch out from their team for a team headed to Worlds, but in some cases it might give a bitter gym owner the power to hold back a kid that might of had some valid reasons from leaving their gym. I think there should be a grievance board set up for such cases, that way this new rule is fair to all.

And who would pay people to sit on this board? We already have enough trouble enforcing are current rules.

ACEDAD's said situation is TOO difficult. What if the child paid on time but was absolutely horrendous to the other kids. The child says it was because of skills, but the coach says it was because of showing up late to practice and general misbehaving. And how do you prove who is lying? I am sure there is probably some truth on both sides, but how do you know? Parents will threaten crazy legal things if they don't like where their kid is. You are assuming one side is 'right' and one side is 'wrong'.

Honestly if there is no appeals process and it is just the rule is better to enforce. I would be fine with an appeals process if you move, but that would have to be talked about.

I definitely think a rule was needed. But I'm worried this went from 100% athlete in control to 100% gym in control. I don't have a good answer that could be implemented without an appeals process that would be way too expensive. But discussions like this might prompt a reasonable suggestion.

I definitely think a rule was needed. But I'm worried this went from 100% athlete in control to 100% gym in control. I don't have a good answer that could be implemented without an appeals process that would be way too expensive. But discussions like this might prompt a reasonable suggestion.

Maybe needs sometype of time constraint instead of full season. 90 days from the last competition? Hrmmm... that would also require someone to head over that.

I think the current solution is the least worst. Again, we aren't saying someone cant cheer somewhere else. It is they just cant go to Worlds with someone else.

Maybe needs sometype of time constraint instead of full season. 90 days from the last competition? Hrmmm... that would also require someone to head over that.

I think the current solution is the least worst. Again, we aren't saying someone cant cheer somewhere else. It is they just cant go to Worlds with someone else.

Is a similar rule going to apply to all levels next season? It would have to apply to every competition since other levels don't go to worlds.

Is a similar rule going to apply to all levels next season? It would have to apply to every competition since other levels don't go to worlds.

Honestly have no idea. As long as it was released before the season started I would have no problem with it.

though from a practical standpoint it should apply to just kids who are worlds age eligible (12+).

Why only worlds? Thought the point was to protect the team members left hanging? The gym owner out money? So it is only about wanting to up your teams chances at worlds, really? I am really confused.

OK, I know I said I was giving up, but I had to come back. Don't you have to sign something at the beginning of the season? I've always had to sign something when my daughters register saying that I understand that allstar cheer is a commitment. It was pretty specific--that we were agreeing to be financially liable to the gym for the whole season, and that our kids understood that they were committing to a team for the season. Possibly (?) not totally enforceable, and not exactly what you mean, but I still wouldn't say there's "NO parental signature or release"--I had to sign about 6 or 7 pages worth of stuff at the beginning of the season. If a gym doesn't have something like this in place then maybe they should. Even the little tiny gym we went to our fist season had this. And I'd i
magine if this rule does go into effect for all levels, any gym with half a business sense would add a form that states the rule very clearly
as well as very clearly spell out their procedures for release. I hope...
In this case... The girl walked in and was not made to sign anything!!! No signature exists and Usasf still requires a release...it's nuts!

Why only worlds? Thought the point was to protect the team members left hanging? The gym owner out money? So it is only about wanting to up your teams chances at worlds, really? I am really confused.

You misread. Worlds age eligible, not level 5. There is your flexibility so people can move gyms at the younger ages to figure out whats a better gym.

You misread. Worlds age eligible, not level 5. There is your flexibility so people can move gyms at the younger ages to figure out whats a better gym.

Personally the way the rule stands I am not in favor of, think the entire board knows that now, but I am in favor of the concept. I hope that when they release the new rules this year it won't nearly November, and will allow an athlete to leave if they want. I personally do not want anyone on a team with my kid that does not want to be there. Too dangerous. 90 days sounds great. Mine took over 100 days to figure out what she wanted. It was a great decision.

Pay up and move on. See ya in 90 days.

shadow said:
Personally the way the rule stands I am not in favor of, think the entire board knows that now, but I am in favor of the concept. I hope that when they release the new rules this year it won't nearly November, and will allow an athlete to leave if they want. I personally do not want anyone on a team with my kid that does not want to be there. Too dangerous. 90 days sounds great. Mine took over 100 days to figure out what she wanted. It was a great decision.

Pay up and move on. See ya in 90 days.

No punishment for unpaid bills then?

Back