OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I have been thinking a lot about this and this is my take:
I feel alot of people are upset/dissapointed/ angry with Simone because of a mentality that a lot of sport/life has is that you do it for the team.
The way I see it is that people think that because you are part of the team you do everything you can to make that team successful including performing when not 100% Heck Ive done it several times for cheer, dance and when working as a nurse as I feel by me not being there Ive caused more problems.
I think Simone was right as by her not competing she avoided causing severe injuries for herself and possibly putti g the team in an even worse off position
Its a mind set that needs to change in many team sports yes you are a team but there are individuals filling that team. A coach will not hesitate to pull an athlete if they dont think they are fit and no one would question the decision
so why cant an athlete pull themselves out because for whatever reason they dont feel capable without the torrent of abuse?

I have been thinking a lot about this and this is my take:
I feel alot of people are upset/dissapointed/ angry with Simone because of a mentality that a lot of sport/life has is that you do it for the team.
The way I see it is that people think that because you are part of the team you do everything you can to make that team successful including performing when not 100% Heck Ive done it several times for cheer, dance and when working as a nurse as I feel by me not being there Ive caused more problems.
I think Simone was right as by her not competing she avoided causing severe injuries for herself and possibly putti g the team in an even worse off position
Its a mind set that needs to change in many team sports yes you are a team but there are individuals filling that team. A coach will not hesitate to pull an athlete if they dont think they are fit and no one would question the decision
so why cant an athlete pull themselves out because for whatever reason they dont feel capable without the torrent of abuse?

Yeah it’s weird. I was raised with that mindset too. And I can’t count all the times I’ve seen that POV used to an exploitative degree.

For example there was a great dancer on my HS dance team who hurt her back pretty badly in her freshman year. But she was super talented and pretty integral to the team, so instead of letting her totally heal they’d let her “rest” before comps (read: she could sit out the last practice before) so they could rely on her when they needed her most. And every time she’d perform she’d set back her recovery. This continued for the next four years.

And that was just how it was.

I think we’re now all coming around to the idea that it shouldn’t be that way. But unfortunately there are a lot of people still clinging to the “But that’s what being on a team is!” idea who have not yet realised IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE.

Last edited:
And the kids do it to themselves, too. My CP downplayed knee pain to me, to the coach, and to the orthopedist. It wasn't until we found a chiropractor who worked with the college cheer and dance teams who knew what competitive cheer entailed who cut through that-and immediately, based on the X-rays and my CP's muted reaction to even small pressure, took her off the mat for at least 6-8 weeks, and when the coach (who also coached the college team) saw the DX, he told her that he didn't even want her in the gym until she was cleared, because it would be too easy to just step in where needed.

The level of guilt, and depression, was huge, first the feeling in letting the team down, and then, when the team was successful, depression because of feeling unneeded.

If she had explained the level of pain she was dealing with, I really think the coach would have pulled her sooner-and that if she had explained the level of cheer she was doing and the impact her knees were under, and the actual level of pain, the orthos might have taken it more seriously, too.

I definitely agree abt athletes downplaying pain. For the last year and a half, I downplayed Severe ankle pain to my coaches and mom. Finally when I told them it was to much and I needed to go rn the doc, the coaches kinda shamed me for it and told me to push through bc they thought it was just a chronic pain. I go to the doc, and after one x-ray they can tell what’s wrong. 2 weeks later I’m in surgery. 2 months later I’m finally walking on my own again. And I’m praying at my follow up later this month I get to get the clear to stunt again.

it has been SO HARD! The fear of missing out is real. The hate I got from my coaches and other teammates was crazy. I thought they where all there for me, but clearly when I was unable to provide in the mat that fizzled out. However, I’m so glad I’m on my way towards recovery. I should’ve never downplayed the pain in the 1st place, and maybe I wouldn’t be here rn, but when u grow up in an environment that always tells you to push through, it really cna have an effect.

My daughter downplayed a concussion which could have lead to a more serious TBI. Simone has competed with kidney stones, broken toes, and who knows what else physical injuries/pain. When you have mental blocks and your body refuses to throw skills, you can't hide that.

I definitely agree abt athletes downplaying pain. For the last year and a half, I downplayed Severe ankle pain to my coaches and mom. Finally when I told them it was to much and I needed to go rn the doc, the coaches kinda shamed me for it and told me to push through bc they thought it was just a chronic pain. I go to the doc, and after one x-ray they can tell what’s wrong. 2 weeks later I’m in surgery. 2 months later I’m finally walking on my own again. And I’m praying at my follow up later this month I get to get the clear to stunt again.

it has been SO HARD! The fear of missing out is real. The hate I got from my coaches and other teammates was crazy. I thought they where all there for me, but clearly when I was unable to provide in the mat that fizzled out. However, I’m so glad I’m on my way towards recovery. I should’ve never downplayed the pain in the 1st place, and maybe I wouldn’t be here rn, but when u grow up in an environment that always tells you to push through, it really cna have an effect.

I’m so sorry this happened to you but I am glad you were on your way to being cleared and healthy. Kids shouldn’t have to feel like this.

I’m so sorry this happened to you but I am glad you were on your way to being cleared and healthy. Kids shouldn’t have to feel like this.
100%
I’m all about doing what’s best for the team, but sometimes that runs a fine line and i made a poor choice that ended up with me being very hurt. The culture in gymnastics and cheerleading needs it change! Ofc there’s times when you need to push through for the team, and honestly for yourself, but other times athletes need to step back and look at themselves and see they need to step out of this for themselves, there health, and the team.

You only get one body.

It’s all fun and games til you’re 30something and that one knee can always tell you when it’s about to storm.

I’m convinced the injuries she incurred as a result of signing her health over to that dance program is the reason why she didn’t go on to dance at Long Beach (major player at UDA). That would’ve been huge for the program to say they had alumni on the CSULB dance team. But no, they drove their best dancer into the ground so badly that she had to quit after HS. All for a team that didn’t even make finals once.

I think side summys are almost as ugly as wolf turns.

I respect the wolf turn in spite of aesthetics. It’s just so insanely hard. Who thought of this?

1. Squat.

2. On one foot.

3. With the other foot extended in front of you, straight leg.

4. And then spin, inward.

5. Thrice.

6. On a mat.

7. Or on a beam, if you’re nasty.

Back