Attendance Policy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just curious, was it all due to injury? Because that makes my inner Susie cringe, just reading about it!
It was a large amount of injuries, homework assistance, debutant practice, and at one point it was even recording studio time LMAO. Honestly everyday it was something new. I eventually washed my hands with program due to an overwhelming lack of commitment, dedication, or care from the athletes. It broke my heart because that was the program who truly gave me my first start in the sport. However, after several coach and AD changes left the program in literal shambles.

Our all star gym has a strict attendance policy two weeks before a competition. If someone is sick they have to come and sit through the practice unless they have a doctor's note. At other times, it's usually the kind of thing where we can let the head coach know and she'll generally be okay with it. I know there are other programs in our area that have a much stricter policy, but they are much bigger, more established gyms. However, because most of our kids were on our team last year, they understand the importance of attendance and most will try hard to make it.

My CP's gym is not as strict in the summer, however during comp season (sept to April), they are only allowed 3 excused absences, and the 3 practices leading up to a comp are mandatory no matter what.

We start practice in May, but our attendance policy is relaxed until we do skills choreography at the end of June. After that, the kids get 3 missed practices for the rest of the season. The only exceptions are graded school functions, funerals, and major emergencies. The two practices out from a competition are 100% mandatory... They either need to come and sit out during practice or provide a doctors note. We didn't really enforce that prior to this year but we're on it now. Had to make a new girl sit out from our first competition of the season because she missed practice... But you can bet the word spread to all the other teams and no one even thinks about missing prior to competition without a doctors note now.

Do you make exceptions or is a miss a miss?

CP is allowed 4 excused absences per semester. One unexcused equals two excused. Athletes on school squads have exceptions that are determined individually.

When they are late it doesn't count towards their absences, they have extra conditioning.

The week of competition no absences are allowed.
@Diamondiva old thread rating?

For me... It's just like if you have a job: whole year:
You have 2 weeks vacation, 2 tardy days and 3 excused sick days.. Use em wisely.
After that, you accumulate demerits. 6 demerits off the squad. 3 is a parent meeting and negative impact on next years tryout score. no exceptions. (Demerits are also on a discipline order) Death of family, prolonged hospitalization, doctor referral are the only excuses and proof must be given. But other than that... That's all you get. That's for appointments, etc. you can even use those "sick days" as "personal days"... But I have a strict week before comp or rally absent is automatic 3 demerit.

4 Unexcused absences but, they each carry discipline.

Excused absences are very limited to Mandatory School function for grade, Contagious Illness and death in the family.

For me... It's just like if you have a job: whole year:
You have 2 weeks vacation, 2 tardy days and 3 excused sick days.. Use em wisely.
After that, you accumulate demerits. 6 demerits off the squad. 3 is a parent meeting and negative impact on next years tryout score. no exceptions. (Demerits are also on a discipline order) Death of family, prolonged hospitalization, doctor referral are the only excuses and proof must be given. But other than that... That's all you get. That's for appointments, etc. you can even use those "sick days" as "personal days"... But I have a strict week before comp or rally absent is automatic 3 demerit.
I really like this approach. CP's gym has attendance policies that are not enforced. Every competition, someone shows up late for the team meeting. The gym owner told me that tardiness is a common problem experienced at all gyms. Apparently, there are gyms that address the problem rather than ignore it.

You can miss 3 practices before you are kicked off the team sept-May. My daughter only missed one due to holiday. If you miss one of the 2 practices before a comp you will not compete. They are very strict and will follow through

Back