All-Star Attitudes At Practice/coaches Favorites.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 23, 2010

This thread is also in the High School section, I just wanted more people to see it.

Im at a new high school this year and I joined the cheer team. My coach is very old fashioned and favors 2 of our 3 captains.

These 2 captains get away with anything they want. They can come to practice late and pretty much do whatever. They cheat on conditioning, bail out of stunts, one of them flies when she very clearly should not, and they are ALWAYS the front of formations. every. single. time.

Ive cheered for an allstar gym for 8 years, and these girls haven't. Ive just had more experience than them, and at the risk of sounding high and mighty, have been performing for much longer at a much higher level.

For some reason, these two girls are unbelievably rude to me. Its always passive aggressive, little digs and comments that are almost always said in front of the coach. The comments are always in regards to how much I obsess over cheerleading, or something Ive said during that days/the day before's practice.

Theyve made me completely hate a sport I adore. I cant go to my coach about this because she favors them. Im at a loss for what to do, and I dont want to quit in the middle of the season because two bratty girls didnt like me.

Help ):

This thread is also in the High School section, I just wanted more people to see it.

Im at a new high school this year and I joined the cheer team. My coach is very old fashioned and favors 2 of our 3 captains.

These 2 captains get away with anything they want. They can come to practice late and pretty much do whatever. They cheat on conditioning, bail out of stunts, one of them flies when she very clearly should not, and they are ALWAYS the front of formations. every. single. time.

Ive cheered for an allstar gym for 8 years, and these girls haven't. Ive just had more experience than them, and at the risk of sounding high and mighty, have been performing for much longer at a much higher level.

For some reason, these two girls are unbelievably rude to me. Its always passive aggressive, little digs and comments that are almost always said in front of the coach. The comments are always in regards to how much I obsess over cheerleading, or something Ive said during that days/the day before's practice.

Theyve made me completely hate a sport I adore. I cant go to my coach about this because she favors them. Im at a loss for what to do, and I dont want to quit in the middle of the season because two bratty girls didnt like me.

Help ):

the best thing to do is to go to the coach... she as an adult should be able to put it aside and do something. or you could just completely ignore the situation. I am still dealing with this at my age. i joined a new open team last year and cheer with a bunch of girls who come from a school cheering background and dont know all star that well. and when i try to correct things or just simple share my experiences and knowledge i get very negative responses from a couple girls. i've thought about quitting and going else where but in my case the coach is awesome so i wont leave. I just block them out and when things dont work then maybe they'll be ready to listen to me.

i am currently going through the same thing.
i would talk to the coach or whoever runs the program, however don't make it too dramatic.
just tell them how you feel and that you as well as all the other teammates need to be respected and respect one another.

if they don't do anything about it, i would consider switching gyms for next season..

My advice is to speak up, if you have more experience than they do then you should be confident about what you know.
im very confident about what I know. The thing is that they dont like me as a newcomer and this is as a result of being confident in what I know.

is there an assistant coach you could talk to? or you said she only favors 2 of the 3 captains...could talking to that third captain help at all?

As far as the whole favoritism thing, I know I have heard through the grapevine that people have felt that I have picked favorites. My answer to that is always, It's a lot easier to be nicer, and enjoy coaching a kid that is always at practice, always gives 100%, and has the same passion for our sport that I do. I'm very fortunate to work with teams where I love every kid I coach, but sometimes kids make it easier to enjoy coaching them more, if that makes any sense at all. I know there are instances where coaches randomly favor certain athletes, and it sounds like this may be one of those cases, and that definitely sucks sometimes but sometimes you have to just shrug it off and make the best out of it.

Remember to stay respectfull but voice your opinion to both the coach and the girls. I know it will be hard to confront them, but you cant let them ruin your cheer expierience! Work it out and move on:) they are probably jelous because they know you have more expierience. So try and not let their digs get to you. Just turn the other way. Ive gone through a cheer bully and it just takes lots of kindness on your end to just not say anything back. Be the better person:) it will make you feel good in the end

Same thing happened to me when I did high school cheer(minus the coach), I went to a little school and was the only one who did all-stars, there was a lot of your just a freshman you don't know anything, and you think your better than us rumors. I just had to stand up for what I knew was right. I even got in a n argument with the varsity captain, we worked through it and all was good, but the jv captains just thought I was a horrible cheerleader for speaking up when the varsity captain told us change something in a stunt that was already working and I knew her idea was a bad one for us. Sometimes people are insecure, jealous, or just naive. Just be confident and stick to what you know is right. Try talking to the coach and if it doesn't work just let what the girls say role off. Who knows maybe they'll get tiered of no response and give up.
Good Luck in what ever decision you make, and make the one that's right for! It'll all work out.;)

Welcome to life, honey. This will probably happen a million more times before you die. Not that it should, but it will.
The sport isn't doing this to you, these girls, and the coach, are. So don't bother hating something you've always loved because of them. The only thing you can reasonably do is sit back and watch the show. Guaranteed, they'll bring themselves down. Remain sweet and knowledgeable, repectful and great at what you do, and they can't say a word. Just because they want to be ugly, doesn't mean you have to be.

You're going to have to talk to the coach. If it makes you feel better have one of your parents do it with you. If the coach doesn't do anything to fix the situation, go to the athletic director. Follow the "chain of command" until the situation is handled.

As far as the whole favoritism thing, I know I have heard through the grapevine that people have felt that I have picked favorites. My answer to that is always, It's a lot easier to be nicer, and enjoy coaching a kid that is always at practice, always gives 100%, and has the same passion for our sport that I do. I'm very fortunate to work with teams where I love every kid I coach, but sometimes kids make it easier to enjoy coaching them more, if that makes any sense at all. I know there are instances where coaches randomly favor certain athletes, and it sounds like this may be one of those cases, and that definitely sucks sometimes but sometimes you have to just shrug it off and make the best out of it.
I completely understand that.But these girls show up late, wear the wrong uniforms, and generally dont work with the team well. Practice is more of a social event, and its frustrating.
Im definitely not coming back to the team next year :p

Mamarazzi said:
Just because they want to be ugly, doesn't mean you have to be.

That's exactly what they want too. Don't show that it bothers you. Ever. They're insecure knowing that you know more and they HATE that. The only way to put you in "your place" is to drag you down to their level.
Like Mama said, you'll experience this in all of life. If you are patient (and don't act like a know-it-all) they'll start asking you for your opinions. But, even if they never do, just keep doing the highest toe touch on the back row and let your skills do the talking.

AllstarObsession said:
I completely understand that.But these girls show up late, wear the wrong uniforms, and generally dont work with the team well. Practice is more of a social event, and its frustrating.
Im definitely not coming back to the team next year :p

If you don't return, they get their way. I am of the breed that when someone tells me I can't or tries to make me feel like I'm insignificant, I go into "I'll show you" mode. It may or may not be worth it to you but if you love cheering for your school, don't let them run you off.

Back