Back/front Walkover Help.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 20, 2013
So I've had my back handspring, round off back handsprings, etc. for about 6-7 years now. But I could never learn to do a front walkover or back walkover. Can someone give me help with the technique. I just learned my back hand spring before anything.

For back walk over start with your hand up and the foot that you kick over first off the ground a little so the all your weight is on the leg you kick over second. When you start make a triangle with your hands and follow them all the way back with you eye and once you start going back the first leg you kick over with will start going up and the other leg should follow. I hope that makes sense

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

You also need a lot of back and shoulder flexibility to do walkovers. I can't do them, never could. Now I'm old and I don't bend that way anymore. I think you also need strong abs to help with falling back to your hands

Try doing them down a hill or cheese mat or over an exercise ball. That's how I learned my front walkover. Also, just try having someone spot you because when I learned mine I had my friends spotting me and we were in like 5th grade, which just goes to show you don't need to be any kind of professional to spot these. Also, try doing bridge walks and pushing through your shoulders in a bridge. It helps a lot. For back walkovers, I always had trouble with having power and momentum so try doing them fast even if its scary, it helps a lot and makes it easier. Also, if you are getting close to your back walkover, get a panel mat or two and and kick off of those. As you get better, unfold it once and you will eventually not even need it. Ok sorry that this is all over the place but I am trying to remember all the tips I learned. Btw the exercise ball really helps for front walkovers. Also try handstand, fall to bridge standups for your front walkover. Good luck and don't be afraid. Me and my friends taught ourselves from you tube videos in like 6th grade! Don't worry!

To add to what she said above, try doing them over a octogon. Walk overs are simple, but if you have the issue of lets say getting to the front walkover and cant stand up and end up bridging, its because you're dropping your chest.

Whatever you do do not i repeat DO NOT do BWO's down the cheese mat.... my coach had me do one and im pretty sure i popped my shoulder out of place or did something to it! It hurt so bad and i was crying because of the pain (which has now become a permanent issue affecting my flexibility in my shoulder). Of course the coach told me i was fine and to stop crying and do it again. Needless to say, i was not back to tumble with him. For backwalkovers just think hips to the ceiling... that is something that really helps me! push your hips foward as you go back and use your power to get your legs over. Im not the best at front walkovers but i would say practice doing a bridge and standing up from it as well as work on your shoulder flexibility and back flexibility because really is the key! I hope this helped! PM me if you need more help

I was thought to backwalk over up the cheese mat so it becomes easy. If you get injured going down a cheese mat that means you did something wrong because that how most people learn it.

I was thought to backwalk over up the cheese mat so it becomes easy. If you get injured going down a cheese mat that means you did something wrong because that how most people learn it.

Not necessarily. Some people learn it differently . I learned best by starting with my feet at the very top of the cheese mat and my arms on the floor(facing opposite of the way the cheese mat is going)... Bridging up and kicking over. Even that doesn't do much. I was stuck on the cheese mat forever thinking I was never going to progress and one day a different tumble coach taught our class since my coach couldn't be there and I tried a back walkover and landed as if I had been doing them for so long. As long as you have the flexibility you should be able to do a BWO.. What helped me was the fact that I had been stretching constantly and doing back bends and standing up to work on my body positions which in turn helped with my tumbling.

Nope, you don't have to do anything wrong. The cheese bends your wrists at an unnatural angle. A lot of coaches do teach them down the cheese. I wouldn't say they're doing anything wrong, I've just been taught not to teach that way.

Ok so with a front walk over: 1st •start like you are about to run (one foot in front another). 2nd •keep your hands glued to your ears. 3rd •when you go down to flip put your hands about 2 feet in front of your feet. 4th •after you lift your back leg, push off the ground with your front leg! 5th •act like your doing a handstand. 6th •let one leg fall into a bridge. 7th •walk your legs closer to your hands 8th •lift up! That's how to do a FRONT WALK OVER!

Back