Back Handspring Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 3, 2010
So I'm having a problem with my bhs, AGAIN. I have it. I know I do, my tumble coach knows I do, and a month ago I was doing it all by myself without even worrying, it's just something in my mind is still telling me I can't do it. I just got back from my private and I feel like I'm getting worse every week. I got in the car and just broke down crying because I'm beyond over this disappointment every week. It's the sit that gets me freaking out. I don't know but sitting and jumping back reaching for the floor freaks me out when I don't have my coach there. I've tried to pretend he's there, singing a song, deep breathing, focusing, but it just feels awkward. I'm doing all of the drills right, but when I step on the mat, it's like I've never done a back handspring before. What do I do to get over this?

I have basically the exact same problem! It's VERY frustrating I know :confused: It's like I just want this back handspring sooo bad, and the only thing stopping me is being scared. I've done it before, but now I just...can't. The sitting and jumping back is what scares me too. Maybe someone can help both of us! lol

I have basically the exact same problem! It's VERY frustrating I know :confused: It's like I just want this back handspring sooo bad, and the only thing stopping me is being scared. I've done it before, but now I just...can't. The sitting and jumping back is what scares me too. Maybe someone can help both of us! lol

OMG you do not know how happy you made me with this post! This past month I've felt so alone on this and it's been killing me. I just want it so bad and I literally stress over it. It's driving me crazy.

OMG you do not know how happy you made me with this post! This past month I've felt so alone on this and it's been killing me. I just want it so bad and I literally stress over it. It's driving me crazy.
I know exactly how you feel. Many practices have ended with tears. And people think I'm crazy for crying over a little tumbling skill like this, but they don't know how bad I want this! Everyone tells me, well you'll get it back, or to stop being scared, but it's like even if I wanted to just throw it my mind wouldn't let me?

I know exactly how you feel. Many practices have ended with tears. And people think I'm crazy for crying over a little tumbling skill like this, but they don't know how bad I want this! Everyone tells me, well you'll get it back, or to stop being scared, but it's like even if I wanted to just throw it my mind wouldn't let me?

Yes! I fell stupid for getting upset, but my friends all have higher skills than me, and it doesn't help when the private before you is a 7 year old girl doing punch fronts and fulls and the private after you is a sophomore working on doubles who just whips them out. Seriously, she doesn't try at all and she makes them look good. As soon as I sit my mind goes blank, it's crazy!

every time your coach counts, or you sit for a BHS and don't go, do 25 back walkovers... If you truly HAVE the backhandspring this should work before long if you stick to it

ElitePanthers

I know you can do it just keep your head up!

& KB_Legend I think it seems like a great idea. Lol
This isnt the same thing but my daughter use to just do her back walkovers quickly and with bent legs. So I would tell her and she could do it right but she would just forget to do it. So I told her that at practice I will count and for ever how many she does with out straight legs she would have to do 15 straight legs at home and if she messed up when she got home we would start over. For about 3 practices in a row she would have to come home and do over 100 every night. Now I never see them any more. If you get tired of the consequence you will remember how to do it right. Now I don't know if this is going to help her but I'd think if I had that problem it would help me. Lol it's worth a shot!

I'll do the back handspring, it's just as soon as I jump back, I'll turn or the jump just doesn't go right if he's not there. He even does this thing where all he does is put the back of his hand on my leg and I do it correctly, but as soon as he walks to the wall I can't do it right.

I'm working on my back handspring as well, and my mental block is a HUGE issue for me. Two weeks ago, I couldn't even do it on the tumble track by myself because I was scared! What I did was I kept jumping back and landing on my butt, to prove to myself that I wasn't going to get hurt or anything. Then I'd jump back until I began to land on back. I kept making progress like this until I finally went through all the motions and did it! Of course, I only got my mental block back out of the way on the tumble track and the surfaces are completely different. But when I take baby steps and work up to it, it helps me a lot. Good luck, I really hope it works out. Lord knows our frustrations will be worth it one day. :)

For some reason it won't let me edit it, BUT I've also found that Maryland Marlins Tsunami 2010-2011 mix plays constantly in my head. "Do NOT underestimate again!" This team has been an inspiration to me since I began cheerleading (late eighth grade, I'm now a sophomore). I found them quite by accident on Youtube, but have always been amazed, inspired and motivated by the heart and dedication that team has.

Does your gym have a trampoline, tumbl trak, landing mats, etc.? You said that reaching for the floor freaks you out but can you handspring alone on other surfaces?

I'll do the back handspring, it's just as soon as I jump back, I'll turn or the jump just doesn't go right if he's not there. He even does this thing where all he does is put the back of his hand on my leg and I do it correctly, but as soon as he walks to the wall I can't do it right.

I don't know if you're still having problems, but something that has always helped me when gaining new skills (I freak out a LOT, and it takes me a LONG time to learn some new skills) is having the coach there, but not touching you. Or tell him to sometimes touch you, and sometimes let go right before you go, but not to let you know when he's going to spot through the whole back handspring and when he's going to just make it seem like he was spotting, but not actually do anything.
It sounds odd, but I could tumble level 4 before I was comfortable doing a standing handspring, and this helped me a lot.

ElitePanthers

I know you can do it just keep your head up!

& KB_Legend I think it seems like a great idea. Lol
This isnt the same thing but my daughter use to just do her back walkovers quickly and with bent legs. So I would tell her and she could do it right but she would just forget to do it. So I told her that at practice I will count and for ever how many she does with out straight legs she would have to do 15 straight legs at home and if she messed up when she got home we would start over. For about 3 practices in a row she would have to come home and do over 100 every night. Now I never see them any more. If you get tired of the consequence you will remember how to do it right. Now I don't know if this is going to help her but I'd think if I had that problem it would help me. Lol it's worth a shot!

My daughter has this issue with her back walkovers. Her coach says she can do it in the privates but during practice she doesnt. So I may try this. Hopefully this works for her. :). Its like a hit and miss for her. Some days her kegs are straight and sometimes there arent.

Does your gym have a trampoline, tumbl trak, landing mats, etc.? You said that reaching for the floor freaks you out but can you handspring alone on other surfaces?

I can't even do it on the tumble trak but the funny thing is, I've started working on standing tucks and I'm doing just fine with those! I'm doing it completely by myself, but if I don't feel the presence of someone there I freak. I know I won't get hurt, it's weird.

Just a quick update. I thought I owed it to you guys since yalls advice really helped me. I'm doing my standing bhs all by myself on the floor now! We figured out my fear, I don't like going from the 2 different surfaces on the tumble track. From the trampoline to the soft mat with my hands freaks me out for whatever reason. I get to the floor and I'm just fine haha. Thanks again to everyone who helped me! Glad I got over it and can finally move on <3

Back