Back Handspring Help?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 22, 2018
I find myself really frustrated because I can do a round-off back handspring beautifully, with a nice high rebound, really tight and pretty. But my standing flicks are AWFUL. I cannot snap down/rebound out of it whatsoever and I am desperately trying to get my series standing flick for try-outs in July so I can get on the level 3 team I want to!

Every time I do a standing flick I can't seem to block off my shoulders and my hands hit the ground then my feet hit the ground and once my feet are on the ground then I can try and bring my chest up.

Me and my coach digress, I've done a million and one handstand snap downs but I just can't relay this when I'm throwing the handspring. I am becoming really upset and fed up and wondering if I should just settle at level 2 and not bother with the level 3 tryouts.

*I cannot back limber btw, I can back walk (done countless back walk snap downs), I can front handspring, front walkover but cannot do the back flick!

I find myself really frustrated because I can do a round-off back handspring beautifully, with a nice high rebound, really tight and pretty. But my standing flicks are AWFUL. I cannot snap down/rebound out of it whatsoever and I am desperately trying to get my series standing flick for try-outs in July so I can get on the level 3 team I want to!

Every time I do a standing flick I can't seem to block off my shoulders and my hands hit the ground then my feet hit the ground and once my feet are on the ground then I can try and bring my chest up.

Me and my coach digress, I've done a million and one handstand snap downs but I just can't relay this when I'm throwing the handspring. I am becoming really upset and fed up and wondering if I should just settle at level 2 and not bother with the level 3 tryouts.

*I cannot back limber btw, I can back walk (done countless back walk snap downs), I can front handspring, front walkover but cannot do the back flick!

Are you undercutting your standing BHS, ie not making it long enough? When you do a ROBHS it's easier to make it to make it long because you're already moving.

When my daughter finally started jumping more back instead of up in her standing BHS, she landed them and they looked better.

I read somewhere that you should travel the length of your body in a BHS.

Are you undercutting your standing BHS, ie not making it long enough? When you do a ROBHS it's easier to make it to make it long because you're already moving.

When my daughter finally started jumping more back instead of up in her standing BHS, she landed them and they looked better.

I read somewhere that you should travel the length of your body in a BHS.

I think I have started to undercut simply because I'm getting so frustrated that I cannot rebound out of it, I'm furiously swinging and jumping onto my hands I think its probably making it undercut. I'm just at a loss completely!

Don't know if you have a resi pit at your gym.. if you do, put a cheese mat on top of it and work push backs -- its the first part of your backhandspring -- stand on the floor in front of the resi pit, it should come to the middle of your back, height wise, and do the first part of your BHS. swing, sit, and jump onto the cheese mat. Focus on pushing through your toes and back. The goal is to have your entire upper body and butt on the cheese mat.

Also, Try handstand snap-downs and hand-stand snap down rebound back up onto the mat. the snap downs help you pop out of your shoulders and block and really snap to get your feet under you. The rebound back up onto the panel mat helps you get your feet in front of you for series BHS and round off BHS skills. -- and it helps with the 2nd part of your BHS

Back