Back Walkover Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 17, 2012
My 6 yr old has her backhand spring but is struggling with her front and back walkovers. I've used every trick I have to help her. Any ideas?

I have no advice for you but just wanted to say my 6 yr old is the opposite. She has her back walkover and almost ehr back hand spring but she is scared or has some type of mental block when it comes to the BHS.

Do handstand shrugs against a wall. It'll help with the push off needed for the front walk over. And really stretching the bridges will help for both.

what are handstand shrugs? (sorry i'm new to this and my girls are struggling with walkovers aswell) thanks! = ) xx

My daughter has her's now and is so proud. Lots of stretching and repetition seemed to do the trick. One thing that helped her get the feel for it was having me gently push her shoulders back while she was in her bridge. That is the only place I would spot her and just that push from her shoulders helped her a ton.

If shes working on a fwd walkover, get her to do loads of backbend into bridges, and then stand straight back up again, it uses the same stomach muscles needed to stand up out of a walkover, and although in a real walkover she will actually be doing it on one leg, it still helps to get the feel, and increases core strength.

If its bk walkovers shes struggling with, but she already has a bhs, then make sure she doesnt "jump" into the walkover. You have to get the timing just right, and your hands need to touch the floor before you push off the floor with your leg. This is the opposite of a bhs where you have to jump then hands touch, so it could be confusing your CP.
Apart from that, just make sure she has enough shoulder and back flexibility! Good Luck and I hope this helps! :)

Start with backbend kick overs. Have her go back into a bridge and then help her kick her leg over, stop her when she's in a handstand with her legs split to make sure she is squeezing her legs. Back flexibility is key, lots of bridges and then pushing her legs straight to stretch her shoulders.

Back