Basket Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I am teaching a girl how to fly baskets without her back throwing from the butt. What do I need to teach her in order for her back to be able to throw from under the basket?

Make sure she keeps her shoulders in line with her knees and holds herself up, keeping her butt up too but not leaning forward. She is going to really have to push off the bases shoulders and not sink her butt when the bases toss.

Its just going to be a weird feeling for her a first, not having someone holding her butt. But she will get use to it as long as she keeps her chest & butt up!

Are there any drills to keeping the butt up. I am use to teaching people from scratch and not teaching the butt thing so its new to me trying to transition someone off of it. This girl is dependent on a person on her butt. So is there any type of drill we could do?

Hang drills! Where she has to hold all her wait in the bases shoulders and not drop her butt or lean forward!

Trophy drills without the backspot.... Flyers learns REAL fast to hold their own booty up

Yep, exactly, hang drills. The body position that the flyer is in in the hang drill is the exact position they need to be in in the load in for the basket. For the basket, the flyer should complete a similar motion to a simple load in up to prep (elevator). They jump to load in in the "hang drill" body position and as the bases dip the flyer pushes off from the shoulders, locking their arms out. If they do this in a basket and their weight is over towards their feet and not leaning backwards, when the bases toss her she will go straight upwards, and will not need someone at her butt.

Practice simple straight rides at first, and also work on getting the flyer to the load in position and pausing before the bases toss. This way you can make sure she is in the correct position and she only has to focus on the pushing off from the shoulders and not the load in at the same time - as she becomes more confident, connect the load in straight to the toss. Hope that helps!

Tell her to be hollow when shes in the air, also when the bases dip her, she should act as if shes sitting in a chair but not leaning forward..posture is everythingg

Back