All-Star Best And Worst Of All Star Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm focusing on the cyber bullying side of things, and it's take place as a lot of other things are also going on inside the team and gym. It's all jealousy driven, and builds in a way that makes it clear that this kind of bullying is not maybe super common, but if and when it happens it needs to be shut down. Although it happens at the gym in the books, my hope is to make it also appeal to non-cheerleaders. I hope my books will help those that do not know the sport get invested in it still, and adding things like that which they can also relate to might help bridge that gap.

It does make it happy that it's not super common though! I'm sure it happens from time to time, and have seen some not so nice comments on photos or videos really blow up. But, to know it is rare, is always good to see since it means athletes are in fact working together or seeing other squads being good as reasons to push harder and not strike out at them and such.

It does happen, though not to a serious level that I have seen. I experienced it a few years ago from several teammates, whom I assume we worried about me taking their spot on the team (though we were all already on the team, but I can't pinpoint any other reason). Nothing serious, more like exclusion from group conversations, walking away if I joined a conversation, saying they didn't want to stunt with me or walking away from stunts once they realized I was involved (and I'm talking preps here, nothing hard). I'm also an adult, so I can deal with things better than younger kids can, or I an ignore the bs without it seriously affecting me. But it sucked to feel excluded by your teammates. When I finally told my coach/owner, she just shrugged it off and said she was sorry to hear about that, and they had already mentioned trying to be nicer to teammates with these athletes. Nothing was done, and the gym didn't even seem to care. My new gym has been the most welcoming group of people I have ever worked with, so it's worked out for the better I think. However, I haven't seen much in more serious situations, which is a good thing

Social media issues in cheerleading... There's the good the bad and the ugly!! I've seen teams roast each other (and not in good or funny ways) after a win/loss and the Twitter wars sometimes get ridiculous!!
Many times posts are eventually deleted but like everyone knows screenshots last a lifetime!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does happen, though not to a serious level that I have seen. I experienced it a few years ago from several teammates, whom I assume we worried about me taking their spot on the team (though we were all already on the team, but I can't pinpoint any other reason). Nothing serious, more like exclusion from group conversations, walking away if I joined a conversation, saying they didn't want to stunt with me or walking away from stunts once they realized I was involved (and I'm talking preps here, nothing hard). I'm also an adult, so I can deal with things better than younger kids can, or I an ignore the bs without it seriously affecting me. But it sucked to feel excluded by your teammates. When I finally told my coach/owner, she just shrugged it off and said she was sorry to hear about that, and they had already mentioned trying to be nicer to teammates with these athletes. Nothing was done, and the gym didn't even seem to care. My new gym has been the most welcoming group of people I have ever worked with, so it's worked out for the better I think. However, I haven't seen much in more serious situations, which is a good thing

That's a bummer to hear coaches didn't do anything. Sure, it might not have been a "kick them out of the gym" thing, but at least doing something would be nice! And I think what you said was important too, that your an adult so you don't get wrapped up in it an all. I think some people at any age make that choice. And sadly on the other side of it, other people of all ages just turn around and make even more drama!

Social media issues in cheerleading... There's the good the bad and the ugly!! I've seen teams roast each other (and not in good or funny ways) after a win/loss and the Twitter wars sometimes get ridiculous!!
Many times posts are eventually deleted but like everyone knows screenshots last a lifetime!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly! My plan is to show the social media bullying and everything and how it can effect things and people just as much if not more than someone bullying in person.

First, All Star Cheer is a great sport which I support 100% for many, many great reasons. It's a diverse sport, which allows girls/boys of all shapes and looks to participate equally. It is very inclusive and tolerant. It is a great athletic event. My CP loves everything about cheer. I wanted to say that first before I turn to the darker sides..... A big dark side issue is money. The sport is expensive enough but the gyms keep on piling on the costs...so it can create a division between the families. Not everyone can just buy another $65 bow for a competition...and then a spirit pack...and then going out to dinner every night after each competition...and then all the requests for more money for gifts....bonding events....banquets.....and on and on. It is hard for some families to keep up and gyms need to back off on the costs.

First, All Star Cheer is a great sport which I support 100% for many, many great reasons. It's a diverse sport, which allows girls/boys of all shapes and looks to participate equally. It is very inclusive and tolerant. It is a great athletic event. My CP loves everything about cheer. I wanted to say that first before I turn to the darker sides..... A big dark side issue is money. The sport is expensive enough but the gyms keep on piling on the costs...so it can create a division between the families. Not everyone can just buy another $65 bow for a competition...and then a spirit pack...and then going out to dinner every night after each competition...and then all the requests for more money for gifts....bonding events....banquets.....and on and on. It is hard for some families to keep up and gyms need to back off on the costs.

I have to agree with you 100% there! Thanks to my niece who used to cheer, and then hearing stories from so many people, it is shocking how expensive the sport is. And like you said, it not just the uniforms and gym fees. With the travel and competitions it can be a LOT! I been thinking about a way to fit that into my books, but I haven't found the right way just yet. I want to make sure if and when I add things like that it is believable and seems genuine to the situation and characters involved. But it is for sure a big part of the sport that effects so many people!

We had an issue which resulted in one athlete leaving due to excessive rumours made about her. I personally felt that it was encouraged a bit by the coach but kept my mouth shut as I was on already on thin ice with the coach. Please pm if you want some more stuff because i don't want to post much on here

I'm focusing on the cyber bullying side of things, and it's take place as a lot of other things are also going on inside the team and gym. It's all jealousy driven, and builds in a way that makes it clear that this kind of bullying is not maybe super common, but if and when it happens it needs to be shut down. Although it happens at the gym in the books, my hope is to make it also appeal to non-cheerleaders. I hope my books will help those that do not know the sport get invested in it still, and adding things like that which they can also relate to might help bridge that gap.

It does make it happy that it's not super common though! I'm sure it happens from time to time, and have seen some not so nice comments on photos or videos really blow up. But, to know it is rare, is always good to see since it means athletes are in fact working together or seeing other squads being good as reasons to push harder and not strike out at them and such.
I understand you have an idea and vision for your book with bullying being a huge focus, but IMO, it's not really a very realistic scenario for a series that focuses on All Star cheer. Yes, bullying and cyber bullying are current important social issues, but your book would be more realistic focusing on one of the characters being bullied outside of the gym (many are and the gym is their refuge) or even poor sportsmanship between teams from different gyms. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to see some pretty poor social media commentary (especially from higher level teams and even coaches). In our experience in All Star over the last 11 years, bullying of teammates is rare (it's never happened on a team CP was a part of and I only heard of it happening once or twice on other teams). Occasionally, mean things are said, but it's generally out of frustration or personality differences and isn't really bullying.

I understand you have an idea and vision for your book with bullying being a huge focus, but IMO, it's not really a very realistic scenario for a series that focuses on All Star cheer. Yes, bullying and cyber bullying are current important social issues, but your book would be more realistic focusing on one of the characters being bullied outside of the gym (many are and the gym is their refuge) or even poor sportsmanship between teams from different gyms. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to see some pretty poor social media commentary (especially from higher level teams and even coaches). In our experience in All Star over the last 11 years, bullying of teammates is rare (it's never happened on a team CP was a part of and I only heard of it happening once or twice on other teams). Occasionally, mean things are said, but it's generally out of frustration or personality differences and isn't really bullying.

I agree for sure. I am happy to hear people saying that there is not as much bullying at cheer so I might have though after some of the social media things I have seen, especially on Instagram and Twitter! But, my hope is that my books, although about cheer, can be read by non-cheerleaders. I have been thinking about what everyone said though, and it is shaping some of the conversations that will happen during the book. I am going to make it clear that what happens is the book is not done because people are cheerleaders and that is how they are. Instead, it will be abundantly clear that the person who is choosing to be less than kind is doing it because that is who they are choosing to be, and they just happen to also be a cheerleader.

That is the book I am working on writing right now, so it's nice to have all the feedback for sure. But, I have a lot of other books that will not feature any bullying of any kind as well, and not all of them will be with heavy drama of that nature either. Despite my sisters recent suggestions about having other parents in the gym give their children hormones so they stay tiny like gymnasts in the Olympics (this was her literally suggestion.....she might be crazy) I plan to keep all of the "drama" in the books a little more realistic and true to life for teens and cheerleaders to relate to.

We had an issue which resulted in one athlete leaving due to excessive rumours made about her. I personally felt that it was encouraged a bit by the coach but kept my mouth shut as I was on already on thin ice with the coach. Please pm if you want some more stuff because i don't want to post much on here

Thanks for sharing! I'm noticing a few people made comments about coaches not helping in the matter. It is helping my resolve a LOT to make sure the coaches in my story are giving the good example. Feel free to message me if you would like, although I have most of the bullying drama fleshed out for my story at this point after a lot of brainstorming and then also considering the comments that have been left in this feed! :)

Wow! I love the support and suggestions and sharing all around!

The info about bullying has been good, but I have a different questions/topic. Injuries!

When injuries happen do people see a lot of athletes refusing to stop cheering and push an injury even farther? Are the coaches applying that pressure as well at all for someone to cheer through a minor injury? Is an injury ever met with happiness since it opens a spot on the team? Basically I would love to see all sides of how a team or individual work through an injury. Again, I've seen some on shows and things like that, but I love hearing the more personal stories from a wide audience of people all the time!

Thanks again everyone, and I love how open and willing to share people are. As much as I have watched every tv show, web series, and documentary out there, nothing quite beats hearing people give their reactions and feelings to something. I'm not using anything word for word or even using some things mentioned at all, but as I read what everyone writes I get to think through it as my characters and see how it would effect the flow and arc of the story, and I love it! So glad I found Fierce Board, and I just wish I found it sooner!!

Last edited:
I agree for sure. I am happy to hear people saying that there is not as much bullying at cheer so I might have though after some of the social media things I have seen, especially on Instagram and Twitter! But, my hope is that my books, although about cheer, can be read by non-cheerleaders. I have been thinking about what everyone said though, and it is shaping some of the conversations that will happen during the book. I am going to make it clear that what happens is the book is not done because people are cheerleaders and that is how they are. Instead, it will be abundantly clear that the person who is choosing to be less than kind is doing it because that is who they are choosing to be, and they just happen to also be a cheerleader.

That is the book I am working on writing right now, so it's nice to have all the feedback for sure. But, I have a lot of other books that will not feature any bullying of any kind as well, and not all of them will be with heavy drama of that nature either. Despite my sisters recent suggestions about having other parents in the gym give their children hormones so they stay tiny like gymnasts in the Olympics (this was her literally suggestion.....she might be crazy) I plan to keep all of the "drama" in the books a little more realistic and true to life for teens and cheerleaders to relate to.
I'm just afraid your assumption that there is a lot of bullying in cheer (like many outsiders have) and then writing a book about it, will only help to perpetuate the 'mean girl' stereotype of cheerleaders. I think most cheerleaders (and their parents) would prefer that not to happen.

I'm just afraid your assumption that there is a lot of bullying in cheer (like many outsiders have) and then writing a book about it, will only help to perpetuate the 'mean girl' stereotype of cheerleaders. I think most cheerleaders (and their parents) would prefer that not to happen.

I assure you that that is not my intention or plan. In book 1 I have already talked a lot about the whole "mean girl" stereotype and Max, the lead character, is shocked to learn that the girls she once thought would never accept her quickly turn into her best friends.

As I said a few times above, I am putting the bullying into the story not because they are cheerleaders, but because one person is not a very nice person. Again, as I said, this is largely because I want this series to be relatable for everyone who reads it, not just cheerleaders. If I wrote a book that was just for cheerleaders then I could do all sorts of things. But I want someone who dosent know the sport to be able to pick up the book and get invested in the story. So, by adding in the bullying the way I am choosing to do it, readers will be able to see that it is not happened simply because the book is about cheer, they will get to hopefully be empowered by the way things pan out, and they can root for Max and the other people in the book based on how everything ends.

I love cheerleading, and have for years. And although I want to show the true side of cheer, or involve things that will make it accessible for teens of any kind, I will not do so at the expense of making cheerleading look anything less than the amazing sport it is. :)

Last edited:

I should also say that bullying is topic in part of one book. That is all. The series will be 5+ books long, and only a little section is about bullying. I'm working on writing that book now, which is the only reason I was looking for feedback at this time. There are many more topics focused on much more. Again, I want there to be teenage drama of sorts in the books so readers can relate or feel engaged and invested in the story, but I will not do so at the lengths of making cheerleaders or the sport in general look bad. :)

Last edited:
In my experience, overt bullying isn't so much the issue as some teams/gyms being very cliquy. It can be hard to break into a new team where the majority of athletes have been together for a long time. Again, not all gyms or teams though

Back