OT Book Club

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I don't think they ship to P.O boxes either. Too bad, since Point Roberts is an hour drive from me.
At least I have a 'sock of the month' club to look forward to. (Best gift idea ever, if you know someone who has a thing for mismatched socks.)

My whole town is on PO boxes. Yay rural living. The chaos it creates when ordering online sometimes is crazy. Fedex/UPS/Puralator also won't deliver to door in our town. We have to go pick it up at the tire shop or one of the restaurants.

Have any of you seen the movie called Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? I haven't read the book, but it has some parts in the movie that sounds like a book.

Have any of you seen the movie called Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? I haven't read the book, but it has some parts in the movie that sounds like a book.
My oldest read it in either 11th or 12th grade.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've read the book!! It's extremely good albeit incredibly emotional haha

On an unrelated note, I am so excited for Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events that I'm starting to re-read all of those books. The series better be good.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've read the book!! It's extremely good albeit incredibly emotional haha

On an unrelated note, I am so excited for Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events that I'm starting to re-read all of those books. The series better be good.
Yes yes yes! I've never read the series but I love anything spooky and dark and I have faith in netflix that they will make great.

Yes yes yes! I've never read the series but I love anything spooky and dark and I have faith in netflix that they will make great.
I've already decided to cancel my membership if it's bad haha. The movie adaption was so terrible I refuse to be hurt like that again.

You should read the books if you have time!! They're fantastic and up there with Harry Potter as my favorites

Has anyone read Jodi Picoult's newest book Small Great Things? I've read a handful of her books and almost didn't read this one because honestly, I know she likes to write in POV chapters and I was curious how a white woman was going to write about racism in the perspective of a black woman... but I decided to read it and I was pleasantly surprised. I found quite a few things to be insightful, and the antagonist to be terrifying. The plot twist was a little bit far fetched based on the description/development of the character they twist (sorry, trying to be vague to avoid spoilers in case anyone is reading it)

BUT mostly I came here to rant about the freaking epilogue. I love me a happy ending but that's gotta be the most asinine character development I have ever read. I should be happy but I'm kind of mad. It's too unrealistic. Or am I crazy?

Has anyone read Jodi Picoult's newest book Small Great Things? I've read a handful of her books and almost didn't read this one because honestly, I know she likes to write in POV chapters and I was curious how a white woman was going to write about racism in the perspective of a black woman... but I decided to read it and I was pleasantly surprised. I found quite a few things to be insightful, and the antagonist to be terrifying. The plot twist was a little bit far fetched based on the description/development of the character they twist (sorry, trying to be vague to avoid spoilers in case anyone is reading it)

BUT mostly I came here to rant about the freaking epilogue. I love me a happy ending but that's gotta be the most asinine character development I have ever read. I should be happy but I'm kind of mad. It's too unrealistic. Or am I crazy?
Not yet...waiting for my reserved copy from the library. Will update when I've read it!

The makeup department did a pretty good job based off the photos that were floating around Facebook earlier in the year. I'm interested to see how Patrick Warburton is in it, since Kronk is one of my favourite characters from the Emperor's New Groove.
@Eyes On The Prize @Ally13 you guys seen this yet?

I just saw this for some reason... IM SO EXCITED!!! They released a Count Olaf trailer. and their twitter accounting announced that they would release a new trailer this Thursday!

Anybody get any good books over the holidays? I finished reading The Help before Christmas (never saw the movie, but I thought the book was great), and I got "The Association of Small Bombs" by Karan Mahajan, "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles, "11/22/63" by Stephen King and, of course, "Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow! I finished The Association of Small Bombs, and while I thought it was really good, I didn't think it was as great as all of the reviews. Currently on A Gentleman in Moscow and I love it so far. I got some gift cards/cash for Christmas and am trying to not spend it all on books until I finish these ones. But I will most likely still buy some new ones because I am dying to read The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead, Mischling by Affinity Konar, and His Bloody Project by Graeme MaCrae Burnet and so many more haha.

so many books. so little time/cash/shelf space haha.

Also... A Series of Unfortunate Events comes out in a week!!! So excited!

I currently have Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes on hold at the library. Anyone read it?

I received Wonder by R.J Palacio and Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher for Christmas. I'm about halfway through Thirteen Reasons Why but whilst I like the storyline, it's not as good as I thought it would be. Heard great things about Wonder and I think it's being made into a film so I'm looking forwards to reading it next! I also bought Flawed by Cecelia Ahern and the second book in the Chaos Walking series (the first one is still in my to be read pile!) with a bookshop gift card I received.

Just dropping by to recommend NOT reading The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver. It's YA Lit. I don't think I've read a more poorly executed book with a great premise (other than The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler). It was so bad. It was a South Carolina Book Award nominee for 17-18 (not seeing how).

The plot is identical twins are in an accident. One dies. The other takes over her life for the dumbest of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back