Broken Tailbone- Advice Please

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 14, 2011
Does anyone have any idea how long it should be before someone is able to get back to cheerleading after breaking their tailbone? The Dr said that my daughter could feel better in a day or a week. However, it's been four days and the pain is only slightly better.

Yes, this is the Rockstar flyer that you may have read about in the other thread that I let go sledding the week her team is competing for a bid to Worlds. We feel horrible about it.
frown.png

Does anyone have any idea how long it should be before someone is able to get back to cheerleading after breaking their tailbone? The Dr said that my daughter could feel better in a day or a week. However, it's been four days and the pain is only slightly better.

Yes, this is the Rockstar flyer that you may have read about in the other thread that I let go sledding the week her team is competing for a bid to Worlds. We feel horrible about it. :(

From someone who broke their tailbone in the past (I was in my late 20's) I can tell you that your doctor is right that it really varies on the person and the severity of the injury. It took me about a week before the pain really started to diminish, and about 2-3 weeks before I was back to regular activity without significant discomfort. Younger kids might heal faster.

Thanks newcheerdad. That gives me some kind of idea from someone who has actually experienced it.

I broke my tailbone in HS (and hurt it numerous times) skateboarding. It wasn't too bad for me, I could continue skateboarding and moving around and stuff, it just hurt A LOT to sit down. So don't worry too much, hopefully it won't be that bad.

I have never completely broken my tail bone, but about 7 years ago I cracked it. It was sooooo painful, I would suggest a heating pad and also sitting on soft pillows that form better to your bottom. Im very sorry for this girl, even if I fall gently on my tailbone today, I can still feel discomfort from that. Feel better!

it's better not to use a heating pad on a broken bone!!! broken bones, ripped muscles and joints should be cooled by ice.
a heating pad is ok when you have soar and stiff muscles from an intense activity.

a broken bone is usually healed after 6-8 weeks. sometimes even up to 12 weeks, depending on how fragile your bones are and if there is alot of blood circulation around the bone. I guess around 3 weeks she should be ok to start again, but be careful, when the bone is still in healing progress it's still very fragile as it needs to form new bone tissue, when she break it again in that period the bone can become deformed.

Back