All-Star Can The Usasf Shut Down A Dangerous Program?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would say that they should. But they can't. Unless they gym is a member gym, which I'm assuming they're not, they can't do anything. Even then, all they could do is revoke member status. They can't shut down someone's buisness, it's outside of their jurisdiction. I do think there should be some sort of list of unregistered programs or programs that have repeated safety issues that parents could look at. The best way to handle situations like this, and I hope to see this kind of plan in the future:
Make all competitions USASF sanctioned, and make it loudly public that those that aren't, are not safe. Make EPs want to be sanctioned. Eventually those that are not will be driven out by those that are. Then make it so that only USASF certified gyms can compete at events. I think to be certified you should have to have an actual rep come to your physical address and visit the gym, like a health inspector, and it should be unexpected. Those that don't pass (while they can't be shut down) could at least be put out of business by informing the parents
Maybe I'm a dreamer...but is this such a bad idea?

I think USASF has the right to shut them down. This gym is on the fast track to disaster, and it needs to be stop before someone is deathly injured. Governments shut down unsafe schools, and fire or wont even hire untrained teachers. Since USASF is the government of cheerleading, the same rules should imply.

USASF governs the people that consent to be governed. They have no authority to shut down a gym, no matter how stupid the coaches or parents are.

While I wish USASF could be a dictatorship, it's not.

But we, the concerned cheer community, can start the ball rolling in the right direction. I'm sure there are all manner of cheer-related people on here, besides athletes - gym owners, coaches, EP-people, vendors, etc. - who can put pressure on gyms to become members.
Often, when we're looking into lots of different things for our children or for employment, we look to the advice of those "in the know" and the first tip groups give is to deal only with reputable, safe organizations that are members of whatever governing body/Better Business Bureau, and such. If we all put it out there as much as possible, maybe the trickle-down will take effect.
So whenever someone says "I'm thinking of doing all-star cheer," tell them to FIRST find a member gym!

The USASF is a business that coaches and gyms buy certifications and memberships from. Even awful coaches and gyms can get a membership. Knowing the rules and following them do not go hand in hand.

The USASF is a business that coaches and gyms buy certifications and memberships from. Even awful coaches and gyms can get a membership. Knowing the rules and following them do not go hand in hand.

YESe, hilighting my biggest problem... a trained monkey could get certified and look the same on paper as a legitimately qualified coach. This particular program has 3 locations. I am not 100%sure about the particular location that my niece was at, but I do believe their main gym is a member gym and the owner of the main gym is certified. But, I know the coaches at the satellite locations are not certified. This is something I actually don't know, as I've never really been in an ownership position before- @ACEDAD if a program gets it's USASF membership and then opens other locations, do those locations automatically become member gyms as well? I would assume so. In which case, this is technically a member gym.

USASF governs the people that consent to be governed. They have no authority to shut down a gym, no matter how stupid the coaches or parents are.

While I wish USASF could be a dictatorship, it's not.

Thank God its not. It is totally not ready yet!!!

YESe, hilighting my biggest problem... a trained monkey could get certified and look the same on paper as a legitimately qualified coach. This particular program has 3 locations. I am not 100%sure about the particular location that my niece was at, but I do believe their main gym is a member gym and the owner of the main gym is certified. But, I know the coaches at the satellite locations are not certified. This is something I actually don't know, as I've never really been in an ownership position before- @ACEDAD if a program gets it's USASF membership and then opens other locations, do those locations automatically become member gyms as well? I would assume so. In which case, this is technically a member gym.

A member gym, yes. A certified gym, not without meeting the criteria.

i say we torch the place, -__ - just kidding!
but they really should revoke there membership!

..if the gym is unsafe, then why are parents permitting their children to participate...there is no program without the cheerleaders..if parents feel it is unsafe then they should go somewhere else...how many things can the USASF regulate...

You should be very careful with how you handle this. Although the gym may be a train wreck you must tread lightly on how you make people aware. it is much easier for them to prove slander. The gym has more protection than you do.

I feel your pain, just be very smart about how you move forward. What ever you do, DO NOT MENTION THE GYM BY NAME.

I truly think the only thing you can do is talk to her parents and help them find a new gym to put your niece in, than maybe some of her friends will start to go, and so on. Change can start with just one person.

This thread is a good one, and the most that Parents can do, and it has already been said, is to Get Educated on All Star Cheerleading, and then you, or the other parents can make the choice on whether this is the right program for your child. Even if coaches are certified, doesn't always mean the best. Before the USASF, there were coaches all over the country, who still were the best at what they did, and the Programs who had those coaches were built on reputation only. Nowdays, I would hope that you could see all of the credentials of all of the coaches in the program, and what the gym is about, safety procedures, etc to make sure you are at the right and Best place for your children..It should matter if it is a gym of 3 teams or 30, you should always ask questions to the coaches of the program you are interested in, and if they have the answers you need, then you more than likely found your program.

@ACEDAD - can the USASF revoke their membership? Then they would be able to attend sanctioned events, correct?

This isn't a question of if they will, but do they have the power to.

Back