Can't Land With Both Feet Together During Roundoff

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 30, 2018
I started tumbling again after 15 years, but I used to have a roundoff BHS. I have been going to the one gym in my area, and it is not helping. The instructor doesn't pay attention to anyone, has mostly little kids who run amok, and I am learning bad habits because I tend to cross my legs before landing and turn around to face the same side when I do a cartwheel or roundoff. The instructor did not correct me or even mention that I was doing it.
I started taking video of myself, and I've been doing it for over a month now so it's annoying and difficult to break. What can I do? I don't have anyone to actually work with me, I can't get my round off anymore and I have not done any of the exercises or drills at this gym that I remember from when I used to tumble.

I started tumbling again after 15 years, but I used to have a roundoff BHS. I have been going to the one gym in my area, and it is not helping. The instructor doesn't pay attention to anyone, has mostly little kids who run amok, and I am learning bad habits because I tend to cross my legs before landing and turn around to face the same side when I do a cartwheel or roundoff. The instructor did not correct me or even mention that I was doing it.
I started taking video of myself, and I've been doing it for over a month now so it's annoying and difficult to break. What can I do? I don't have anyone to actually work with me, I can't get my round off anymore and I have not done any of the exercises or drills at this gym that I remember from when I used to tumble.
Go to a gymnastics or dance facility for tumbling classes.

Go to a gymnastics or dance facility for tumbling classes.
I guess that was not clear. I am at a gym which is specifically for gymnastics. It is the only one within about 2 hours, and the instructor has mostly little kids and does not spend time with me, so I am not making progress because I don't want to keep practicing a bad habit. I was hoping someone could give me some advice.

Glad that you reached out to someone. Feel free to shoot me a video of what you are doing at [email protected] or on facebook by the same name. I will be happy to look at it and give you some advice that you can implement, and if necessary send video of drills to help fix it.

Glad that you reached out to someone. Feel free to shoot me a video of what you are doing at [email protected] or on facebook by the same name. I will be happy to look at it and give you some advice that you can implement, and if necessary send video of drills to help fix it.

Thank you very much! I feel embarrassed sending video though (it's bad!). Instead of landing opposite of the direction I began, I cross my feet at the apex and end up landing facing the same direction in which I started. I "spin around" basically because my feet cross.

I had a girl at the gym look at what I was doing, and that's the best way to describe it. I don't have my handstand anymore, and can't remember what my former coach had me do to obtain it. I have done a LOT of ab work and strength conditioning over the years when I have not tumbled, but when I kick up to attempt a handstand, I can't hold it.
***DESPERATION!***

When I was still cheerleading on my roundoff or cartwheel only one of my legs would be the straight and the other would bend. I never knew how to fix it.

EDIT: I wanna know how to fix it in case my kid inherits this problem lol.

Thank you very much! I feel embarrassed sending video though (it's bad!). Instead of landing opposite of the direction I began, I cross my feet at the apex and end up landing facing the same direction in which I started. I "spin around" basically because my feet cross.

I had a girl at the gym look at what I was doing, and that's the best way to describe it. I don't have my handstand anymore, and can't remember what my former coach had me do to obtain it. I have done a LOT of ab work and strength conditioning over the years when I have not tumbled, but when I kick up to attempt a handstand, I can't hold it.
***DESPERATION!***

First of all don't feel embarrassed. A lot of parents and athletes reach out to me privately.I am proud that you are willing to reach out. That is always the hardest thing. That is preferable than continuing to do something incorrectly and risk injury.

The reason I ask to send it is while I have several ideas of what you are doing and what could be causing it, without seeing it I am merely spitting in the wind. Trust me that in over 33 years of coaching I have seen just about everything and no matter how bad someone thinks something is or how perfect they think something is, I can always find something to make it better.

Not being able to hold a handstand is one thing that will hurt having a good roundoff (but I would be lying to say I know some athletes with good roundoffs and who cant hold a proper handstand one second because they never worked on it) and I have some things that can help, but again, seeing it helps me understand right where the true issues lie.

Back