Can't Throw My Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 19, 2014
hi everyone!

so i went to privates yesterday after not going to the gym for a while & tryouts are tomorrow. i was amazing on the tumble track & pretty good on the air track (spotted on both though.) i have a mat at home & i've been trying to practice with a stack of pillows on the mat but i just keep falling on my back. i'm really frustrated now because i thought i was on the right track for senior 2 yesterday.

my roundoff could be a little cleaner & my back walkover is a little crazy. i keep leaning to one side.

i'm really frustrated and nervous. can't throw basic skills i thought i had. is it okay to be spotted for tumbling during tryouts? i did it once for another gym last year. also, can do you think i move up a team through the summer if my tumbling improves?

edit: probably should mention that i can fly a bit. any hope to make a senior 2 team?

A lot of this depends on the gym.

Most do not spot kids during an evaluation because they want to see what you can throw with no help.

We can't really predict if you'll make Level 2 because there are many factors to account for in placing kids on teams.

Moving up teams also depends on the gym and team needs.

I will make a suggestion: Stop tumbling at home. You are likely not helping yourself. Without the proper surface and a coach/adult, you are probably just practicing bad habits and creating muscle memory of yourself doing it wrong.

I would not go in expecting level 2 with those skills. I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you do. You might have other skills that would make you an asset on that level, if they need your particular stunt position, but given the scoring changes for standing tumbling, a strong standing BHS is more important this year than ever before.

Most gyms do not spot during tryouts. You either have the skill and can throw it under pressure or it's no good to them. Throw the skills you have confidently, let the chips fall where they may, and then get into the gym and start working for next year now. Don't wait until just before tryouts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you should look at the charts USASF has about level and tumbling. A lot depends on your gym and who comes to try outs. That said many larger gyms are really focusing on having kids with advanced level skills for teams. That doesn't mean every cheerleader falls into that category but most will at many gyms. If you have not been to the gym for a while I would not necessarily expect it to come easily. What you put in is what you get out and it doesn't happen over night. Wish you luck and all the best.

Back