Catching Double Downs?

Discussion in 'Skills' started by xoxotumblerforeverxoxo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. xoxotumblerforeverxoxo

xoxotumblerforeverxoxo I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    xxabbyboo17xx
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Hey guys! So recently, I got a concussion while back spotting a double down. My entire time cheerleading, I've never been the best at catching cradles, but this is the first time I've ever been injured from a double down. I was out for five weeks, and I will be returning to
    practice next week. I'm nervous to do double downs and basically I have to back spot them because my stunt is point. Do any back spots have any tips on how to better catch double downs? Thank you!!

2. FamousxMindset

FamousxMindset Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Slightly move to the main base's side when you catch, you don't have to be directly under the stunt but make sure your still catching the fliers shoulders. Less scary but still safe/legal.

3. fierceBOWlove

fierceBOWlove When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    The first time I backspotted a stretch double down I got my lip busted open... I feel your pain. I always tell my flyers to just *keep your arms in. I will catch you. It's a lot easier to catch a controlled double down when your flyer just wraps and stays tight. Move to the side a little and I 'stop' her on the way down with my left hand and wrap with the right. Left hand catches under her back and the right wraps around her back and catches Round the shoulders. That should keep you from getting whacked.

4. scottish_cheerleader

scottish_cheerleader I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    i hate backspotting doubles ( i hate kick doubles more) but my best advice is dont build it up in your head to be something more than it is, you are more than capable of doing this. your stunt group must be point for a reason (congrats on this) !

absorb with the flyer, so its not so much of a dead weight landing on you, after a few times with a flyer you know pretty much how/where they land and you can adjust your catch slightly to make it more comfortable

5. xoxotumblerforeverxoxo

xoxotumblerforeverxoxo I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    xxabbyboo17xx
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Thank you guys!!! You guys all gave me wonderful tips and now I'm not as scared to do them again :)

6. beelovesfury99

beelovesfury99 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    OUCH.