All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The level of athletes on GT/UOL, while formidable, is not the main concern. Having them all in one spot and able to frequently practice together with nearly everyone there is a big issue. Also, making that work financially is probably the most difficult hurdle of all.

Note: not faulting UOL/GT. I would do everything I could do to leverage them together if I were them, too.

The bottom line is that is just isn't worth the time, effort, and lost money it would take to be competitive.

The hardest part about open teams is getting them together enough to practice. Even the most talented ones can practice once or maybe twice a week. And usually have a long way to drive. I know our open teams have to schedule and work around gas prices. For example, Rust competed their routine with just 30 hours of practice from choreography to hit play at worlds. I bet by the time orange hits play thru have had around 150 to 200. Its just part of the game. Open teams in general will always fight an uphill battle.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Every team is pretty much the same. 3.5 hours a week total. Typically 2 hours on Sunday, 1.5 hours on a weeknight. This includes everything - tumbling, choreography, etc. Some athletes take additional tumbling classes, but it is not mandatory.

We realize that this is much shorter than most programs. We just try to have efficient practices.
that is actually really impressive! its amazing all the teams are that amazing without practicing 7 days a week like a lot of worlds teams... the coaching is obviously incredible

Opinions of 4.2? Would you have one at CA?

Also, what do your athletes wear to practice? Are they all required to wear the same thing?

Opinions of 4.2? Would you have one at CA?

Also, what do your athletes wear to practice? Are they all required to wear the same thing?

We haven't had the appropriate set of athletes to make 4.2 work for us, but I think it definitely serves a need for some gyms.

Once we have our practice clothes for the new year, athletes wear those. Until then, they can wear whatever they want. You are as likely to see a SOT, TG, or Stingrays shirt on one of our kids at practice these days as you are a CA shirt. (OK, maybe the odds aren't precisely the same, but you get the idea.)

(It seems like one of the big name coaches was visiting and was shocked to see their programs' shirts on a couple of our kids during practice. . . . Courtney Pope maybe?)

The hardest part about open teams is getting them together enough to practice. Even the most talented ones can practice once or maybe twice a week. And usually have a long way to drive. I know our open teams have to schedule and work around gas prices. For example, Rust competed their routine with just 30 hours of practice from choreography to hit play at worlds. I bet by the time orange hits play thru have had around 150 to 200. Its just part of the game. Open teams in general will always fight an uphill battle.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I think that is one of the reasons I love the IOC6 division much. To know that it is full of athletes who have families, school, or a full time job and can still come together with little practice and hit the routines they do is just amazing.

What is Cheer Athletics' position on crossing-over athletes? I know this has happened in the past, but is this a rare occurence or are there at least a couple crossovers on each team? (This is a moral dilemma my gym has always struggled with, especially when crossing-over athletes to different levels).

What is Cheer Athletics' position on crossing-over athletes? I know this has happened in the past, but is this a rare occurence or are there at least a couple crossovers on each team? (This is a moral dilemma my gym has always struggled with, especially when crossing-over athletes to different levels).

Full-season crossovers are pretty rare for us. Maybe 5-6 in the whole program last year and they were all within the same level. Usually crossovers are just temporary injury substitutions for us.

Question! Being that Wildcats is an Open team, how often do they practice and what time of the year do they typically begin practicing? Asking this because here in Georgia the problem with open teams is that most of the talent comes from college kids who dont get here until August most times and they can only commit to one practice a week.

I'm really impressed by this thread, quite obviously I have no idea who BlueCat is, owner, coach etc., but to create a thread and answer questions honestly is quite admirable, maybe other gyms will do the same.

Back