Cheer Bow Fabric?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've recently started making simple practice type cheer bows but want to expand into competition bows. What is the material called that looks like glitter? Is it iron-on vinyl? Where is the best place to order whatever it is?

I bought some grosgrain cheap from JLM Ribbon. Our colors are Maroon, Black, and white but we found those colors to be a little dark, We also added Silver Glitter ribbon to our bows. The trick with the glitter ribbon if you are using a sewing machine is to iron it first, then it doesnt get stuck in the needle of machine!

Michaels also has glitter ribbon in varying widths.

First bow I've made, I've gotten better...
91e923fa-8fca-4c08-8c2f-10fdc6667d69.jpg

hey all!
I've been searching the internet lately to find out what cheer bows are actually made out of but i cant seem to find anything!
is there anyone out there that is some bow making guru that can tell me what they are made out of?
Cheers xx

All types of material work really well. Michael's has some really good options. Just try to steer clear of anything really thing thing or sheer alot of the time bigger "Texas" Sized bows have many levels so save the thiner materials for the top. Be careful using to much hot glue... it gets everywhere.

We have some great bows on our website. They are alot of work and you need the right tools. Making bows for your team is fun but I found some homemade bows don't work in the long run. For a professional bow, get help from a bow maker.

The problem with being is Australia (particuarly WA) is we dont have access to many of teh metallic materials used on glitzy cheer bows! I bought a fair bit of fabric when I was in NY recently and have a bow company here in Perth Bling it on Bows. www.facebook.com/blingitonbowswa
It is really hard to find the glittery material! i have looked everywhere!

I have a question too..

1) how do you attach your fabric to your grosgrain ribbon

2) is there a trick to making the bow hard and not floppy?

thanks!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I can answer the second question. It is calle bow stiffening spray, kind of like hairspray. I don't know where u can find it though.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

i like using spandex world- as far as cutting, get you a mesaured cutting mat and fabric cutter, use a long ruler as a guide, I personally find the heat n bond is the best to adhere to the grosgrain ribbon :)

Back