High School Cheer Captain

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 1, 2012
Hey everyone,
Im currently on my high schools freshman cheer team and I am running for Captain. Our cheer coach is picking it and I really want to know how I can impress her. Ideas please??!!! If u give me an idea I will shimmy you!!! Thanks :)) it means a lot to me

remember, the captain isnt a coach or an assistant coach or coaches helper, you are a team leader. lead by example in every aspect of being a cheerleader and team member

Making sure that you are not rude and you are positive! Leadership isnt just about the goal of winning its making sure that your team is the best that they can be. Beating others down wont help anything. Make sure that you participate in everything and be excited about it (no groaning when you have to run laps!). Positive attitudes are contagious and one of the best things a captain can do is have respect for her team and want the best for everyone!

Do not be bossy or rude. Or suck up to the girls before you vote. One girl on my team last year was trying to suck up to us all by buying us all water before choreography and then later when she didn't get Capitan she posted a nasty FB status on how she "just wasted 17 freaking (inster stronger f word) dollars" on water for us...

Do not be bossy or rude. Or suck up to the girls before you vote. One girl on my team last year was trying to suck up to us all by buying us all water before choreography and then later when she didn't get Capitan she posted a nasty FB status on how she "just wasted 17 freaking (inster stronger f word) dollars" on water for us...
Haha don't worry I'm not like that! ;)

Be nice to everyone. Make sure people like you. Remember what they said in the Hunger Games. "If you want to survive, you have to make people like you." So just be everyone's friends. If they like you, they'll want you to be captain. Don't be controlling or micromanaging. Listen to your coach. They also want a cheerleader who is a good cheerleader. So smile, tumble, stunt, behave yourself during practice, and just work your magic. Maybe you should come up to them and say, "Hey guys, I made up a couple eight counts for a dance!" Show them an awesome dance you made up, and that'll show them that you have great ideas.

Be nice to everyone. Make sure people like you. Remember what they said in the Hunger Games. "If you want to survive, you have to make people like you." So just be everyone's friends. If they like you, they'll want you to be captain. Don't be controlling or micromanaging. Listen to your coach. They also want a cheerleader who is a good cheerleader. So smile, tumble, stunt, behave yourself during practice, and just work your magic. Maybe you should come up to them and say, "Hey guys, I made up a couple eight counts for a dance!" Show them an awesome dance you made up, and
that'll show them that you have great ideas.
Cheer & the hunger games the best things in the world ;D thanks

All of these ideas are great for impressing your coach and getting the coveted captain spot - just be sure you keep it up if you get it! If you get captain this year and do a good job, it will always help with next year!

Always lead by example, like everyone else has said. Encourage people, and give nice constructive criticism, such as "Hey, I noticed your high-v looked a little more like a T in the dance, bring it up a bit more! But you have really tight motions, [or any other positive comment] keep up the good work!" instead of something like "Your high-v looks like crap."

I agree with all of the posts above. Also, if you have some close friends on the team, instead of talking to them all the time try to reach out to new people as well! As a side note, make sure you don't post negative comments on Facebook/twitter because the coach may read those and it will not go over well. I hope you get captain!

Back