All-Star Cheer Injury (fractured Sternum) 2 Weeks Before Tryouts!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 24, 2012
I've managed to fracture my sternum with just 2 weeks left before trials! I don't know if any of you have experienced this but it is INCEDIBLY painfull. I don't think I'll be able to tryout but I'm still trying to play ignorant and pretend that I'll be able to. I don't think I'll be able to tumble though. Does anyone know how long it takes to be able to cheer again roughly?

Really upset that I more than likely wont be able to try out :(

If I remember correctly, someone else on the boards fractured their sternum a while back. I think it was kickdblcj? He'd probably know about the recovery process (if it was him that did it).

Emily Jane was right, I fractured my sternum last summer (among many other things lol) during choreography. My fracture was a compression fracture with a lot of little cracks so it was fairly painful. I didnt take time off tho. Tumbling was horrible and baskets were even worst. I did a combination of cold and heat which worked pretty well for me. My doctor said that it would take 3-5 months to heal but since I never really took time off for it to heal I still experience issues with it today. It pops in every now and then and is really painful/uncomfortable. So I would definitely suggest allowing it to heal properly. But to answer your question it all depends on you and your pain level. I only really took a week off and then started going full out fever right away. Id say wait until it at least doesnt hurt anymore to open up your chest before you try to do anything.

I broke mine when I was 8 or 9. Super painful, hurts to breathe, all that jazzy stuff that makes daily life unbearable.

I wouldn't make it worse. Take some time off, explain it to your coaches, you reaaaallly don't want to be dealing with this longer than you have to.

Emily Jane was right, I fractured my sternum last summer (among many other things lol) during choreography. My fracture was a compression fracture with a lot of little cracks so it was fairly painful. I didnt take time off tho. Tumbling was horrible and baskets were even worst. I did a combination of cold and heat which worked pretty well for me. My doctor said that it would take 3-5 months to heal but since I never really took time off for it to heal I still experience issues with it today. It pops in every now and then and is really painful/uncomfortable. So I would definitely suggest allowing it to heal properly. But to answer your question it all depends on you and your pain level. I only really took a week off and then started going full out fever right away. Id say wait until it at least doesnt hurt anymore to open up your chest before you try to do anything.

Well I'm off for the season and so I do have time to let it recover but if I don't manage to go to tryouts this year, then I'll be out for the season. I'm determined to do it, I can deal with pain alright so I have no doubt I'll be able to force myself to do it, just might cause myself some healing problems. Thank you so much for this! It really has helped me out, I just don't want to be out the whole season because I got injured this close to tryouts :(

I broke mine when I was 8 or 9. Super painful, hurts to breathe, all that jazzy stuff that makes daily life unbearable.

I wouldn't make it worse. Take some time off, explain it to your coaches, you reaaaallly don't want to be dealing with this longer than you have to.
Rahh, I know you're right. :( But as I said above I really don't want to be out the whole season just because I've been injured this close to tryouts. :(

Rahh, I know you're right. :( But as I said above I really don't want to be out the whole season just because I've been injured this close to tryouts. :(
Have you got a video of what you can do? Because I'm sure this is a situation where a video tryout will be accepted, if you speak to the coaches beforehand and explain the situation :) Let them know that you don't want to prolong your recovery time any more than is necessary but you really can't cheer right now, maybe offer to tryout properly a few weeks afterwards so they can properly assess you.
I'm assuming you've seen a doctor about it- did you let them know that you're planning on trying out and find out how long they recommend you stay out for?

Have you got a video of what you can do? Because I'm sure this is a situation where a video tryout will be accepted, if you speak to the coaches beforehand and explain the situation :) Let them know that you don't want to prolong your recovery time any more than is necessary but you really can't cheer right now, maybe offer to tryout properly a few weeks afterwards so they can properly assess you.
I'm assuming you've seen a doctor about it- did you let them know that you're planning on trying out and find out how long they recommend you stay out for?
I was frantically looking for videos actually but I don't unfortunately. We lost our harddrive that had all of my cheer videos stored on it D: I've emailed the coach and she said that it sounded painful and she hopes I can make it, but I'm sure she's very stressed out right now with tryouts coming up and so one girl not being able to make it won't be the top of her priorities. I'll have to see how it goes to be honest, I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so I'll know more then about how long it'll take and what I can do etc. :)

I was frantically looking for videos actually but I don't unfortunately. We lost our harddrive that had all of my cheer videos stored on it D: I've emailed the coach and she said that it sounded painful and she hopes I can make it, but I'm sure she's very stressed out right now with tryouts coming up and so one girl not being able to make it won't be the top of her priorities. I'll have to see how it goes to be honest, I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so I'll know more then about how long it'll take and what I can do etc. :)
Oh no, that must be so frustrating! Definitely just follow what your doc says- I've heard so many stories from people who didn't and have long term injuries now. Just to add mine to the list- sprained my ankle when I was about 14, physio said to stay off it for 6 weeks, and go very careful for the next 6. I had a walking trip planned with my school to the Atlas mountains in Morocco for 6 weeks after I sprained my ankle, and although I was careful with it it's permanently bruised and a bit swollen, randomly turns (which is horribly painful) and I sprained my other ankle by over compensating. Moral of the story- listen to the physio and doc- they (probably) know best!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! And if you can't make the Black tryouts then the other Unity team tryouts aren't until September, so you've got a bit more time :)

Oh no! I hope you're into in too much pain :(
It's a shame you don't have any videos to send in because a girl who was on Indigo and Pearl this year broke her ankle in the summer but because the coaches had already seen what she could do, she made the teams she wanted. I have no idea about Black trials but if you could get some sort of video/evidence of your skills then that would definitely help you in the tryout process for the London teams!
Hope you feel better soon and heal quickly! Good luck at the doctors!
:)

So I saw the doctor today and she gave me very strong pain killers and ordered bed rest for a week then to take it easy from there. :| I'm convinced I'm still going to go to Black tryouts, even if just for the experience and hope and pray that it's better by September. These pain killers are working a dream so I figure if I just take those before trials I'll be ok! Haha. There's no chance I'll make it in this condition anyway but I'd still like to go just to experience it. :)

So I saw the doctor today and she gave me very strong pain killers and ordered bed rest for a week then to take it easy from there. :| I'm convinced I'm still going to go to Black tryouts, even if just for the experience and hope and pray that it's better by September. These pain killers are working a dream so I figure if I just take those before trials I'll be ok! Haha. There's no chance I'll make it in this condition anyway but I'd still like to go just to experience it. :)
That's such a great attitude to have :) I'm sure you'll pick up loads of tips from the Black tryouts even if you don't make the team this year. Does that mean you're not going to be going to the July skills camps?

That's such a great attitude to have :) I'm sure you'll pick up loads of tips from the Black tryouts even if you don't make the team this year. Does that mean you're not going to be going to the July skills camps?
Haha it's something new I'm trying :) Positive attitude towards everything and anything that life throws at you. :) I'm sure I will too, and it'll show that I'm committed if I turn up even though I've injured myself. Oh I'm still definitely aiming to go to the July skills camps :D

Back