OT Cheer Resume

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 10, 2010
Not sure where to put this but Rockstar is opening a gym here in Jacksonville and I am looking to apply for a coaching position. They are asking for resumes and I have my professional resume but I feel like a cheer resume is slightly different. Coaches, gym owners, what do ya'll like to see on a resume?

For my cheer resume, I put anything relevant to cheer, coaching, leadership, and then any type of community service commitments you have had previously.

Remember your resume should be showing you in the best light possible for that employer and specifically for the job.

I would list any conferences/training that you've attended (JamU, USASF regionals etc). Any credentialing, first aid, courses you may have taken in coaching.

I like to see experience in the industry timeline as an athlete and a coach. If they are new to cheer, I want to see what sports they have played or other activities that may have crossover value to coaching. I pay strict attention to start and stop dates, number of moves, teams coached. Don't want gym hopping coaches or ones looking for the next "buzz" feel good of working with a new program. Relevant certification and conference attendance with reputable organizations in cheer, gymnastics, power tumbling, dance, etc. Solid references are needed. I will definitely check those listed and those I know connected with the program that are not listed. I don't care how big the gym is , how many Worlds titles they won or how many rings the applicant has. I want to know how they interacted with the athletes, did they maintain a professional relationship, did they apply themselves to learn more than they knew when they started at the job. Did they grow athletes skill level, mental strength, love for the sport, and heart or did they just sprinkle a little pixie dust and claim growth that would of happened anyway as their own.

And I want it all on no more than 2 sheets of paper.

Also include any child care experience. My owner said she can teach a person how to coach cheer but not how to genuinely care for a kid's wellbeing!

Yes.

Another big thing: PROFESSIONALISM.

I worked with some college students who wanted to come back to HS and shadow/assist me one summer because they knew I'd have an assistant spot coming open that fall.

They were great athletes. Great cheer resumes. State champions. One was a collegiate gymnast. You name it.

BUT.

Their professionalism with my athletes left a lot to be desired:

*Talking to my kids like they were peers instead of athletes they were coaching.
*Looking down at their phones when they were supposed to be giving feedback.
*Starting emails to a parent with "Hey Susan...."
*Showing up 5-10 min late, and drinking a Starbucks.

I actually emailed the practicum supervisor of one of the girls (she was using these shadowing hours as intern hours for her degree - I think it may have been dance or athletic training?) to tell her that this girl was late literally every day.

Yes.

Another big thing: PROFESSIONALISM.

I worked with some college students who wanted to come back to HS and shadow/assist me one summer because they knew I'd have an assistant spot coming open that fall.

They were great athletes. Great cheer resumes. State champions. One was a collegiate gymnast. You name it.

BUT.

Their professionalism with my athletes left a lot to be desired:

*Talking to my kids like they were peers instead of athletes they were coaching.
*Looking down at their phones when they were supposed to be giving feedback.
*Starting emails to a parent with "Hey Susan...."
*Showing up 5-10 min late, and drinking a Starbucks.

I actually emailed the practicum supervisor of one of the girls (she was using these shadowing hours as intern hours for her degree - I think it may have been dance or athletic training?) to tell her that this girl was late literally every day.
That is actually a huge pet peeve of mine. If you are late, don't show up with a drink or food item you obviously stopped to purchase on the way.

That is actually a huge pet peeve of mine. If you are late, don't show up with a drink or food item you obviously stopped to purchase on the way.
This is also a huge pet peeve of mine. I HATE being late. I would rather arrive 2 hours early than be 2 minutes late. One of my teachers had this quote taped to her door that said "Early is on time. On time is late. Late is unacceptable."

@tumbleyoda You rock! Thank you so much!

Thank you so much everyone!

This is also a huge pet peeve of mine. I HATE being late. I would rather arrive 2 hours early than be 2 minutes late. One of my teachers had this quote taped to her door that said "Early is on time. On time is late. Late is unacceptable."

@tumbleyoda You rock! Thank you so much!

Thank you so much everyone!

You are welcome. Best of luck to you!!!

You are welcome. Best of luck to you!!!
Thank you so much! It really means a lot coming from you! This is step number one to achieving my dream of being a gym owner (I feel like I'm a Pokemon trainer here! I spend too much time watching TV with my 5 year old niece :p )

Back