College Cheer Scholarships

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 9, 2011
Last night I had a parent come to me after training and ask me about college scholarships in cheerleading in the USA. Apparently the high school her daughter goes to has started targeting students for sports scholarships to colleges in the USA and she has been chosen for the programme. I know in general these are incredibly hard to come by for cheerleading and you have to be super talented but I was wondering about the smaller, catholic colleges and whether anyone knew anything about them.She goes to a catholic high school and would prefer a catholic uni.

Her daughter is only 12 and is a flyer at the moment. However, if she keeps on growing she will be basing so she will need an all-girls team at college. She is reasonably good and has another 5.5 years to develop her skills, she has the right focus and dedication to the sport and I think has the potential to be up there with some really good cheerleaders. Ok not one of the Maddie's or Erica's but still a solid and good athlete. She has a good RO/BHS and is working on her tuck, her flexibility is not great but she is determined to fix it this year. And the good thing is there are some super level 5 teams emerging in the UK that she can try-out for once she has out grown my gym.

Any advice I can give the mum about this? Is it a pipe dream for cheerleading and should she concentrate on football (you call it soccer)???

well if its a full scholarship then it wont be in the form of cheerleading as you know it. If NCAA ever approves NCATA or STUNT the teams will be backed by the athletic program which will lead to scholarships (I think NCATA already offers them). But like i said it will not be in the All-Star format shes costumed to.

We are a small private Christian school and we do offer anywhere from 20-40% of tuition scholarships. We have more info on our website at MNUCheer.com. We have 2 teams a small coed and large coed team. We have a post regarding our scholarships under the high school cheer forum search for MNU. Have her keep up the hard work and something will work out for her!

We are a small private Christian school and we do offer anywhere from 20-40% of tuition scholarships. We have more info on our website at MNUCheer.com. We have 2 teams a small coed and large coed team. We have a post regarding our scholarships under the high school cheer forum search for MNU. Have her keep up the hard work and something will work out for her!

Thanks @MNUCheer.com I had checked your school out and pointed her in that direction and she seemed to really like it :) . The problem is she is only 12 and is already quite tall, she may not grow any more and that would be great but if she does I figure co-ed cheering is out for her. Her mum has already committed every summer between now and when she is 18 doing cheer camps in the USA and she can get co-ed experience there, it's just a lot of level 5 teams are all girl in the UK. Would not having much co-ed experience be a detrimental thing?

All NCATA are varsity level sports at their university; just like football, basketball, baseball, etc... The D1 and D2 schools of the NCATA are equivalency sports, which means that they are allotted a certain amount of full scholarships, and can divide them up as they see fit. The teams can offer as little as just a book scholarship, all the way up to full scholarships.

Thanks @MNUCheer.com I had checked your school out and pointed her in that direction and she seemed to really like it :) . The problem is she is only 12 and is already quite tall, she may not grow any more and that would be great but if she does I figure co-ed cheering is out for her. Her mum has already committed every summer between now and when she is 18 doing cheer camps in the USA and she can get co-ed experience there, it's just a lot of level 5 teams are all girl in the UK. Would not having much co-ed experience be a detrimental thing?
Coed experience is not necessary to make a Coed team. All of our girls have been taught their skill set at our college. Some do come in with experience and it puts them at a higher level than others at first but we cannot predict what a kid can do who has never flown although we like to see some all girl flying experience. We do have small coed team which is very similar to all girl but nationals allows 4 males to compete with the 16 females. There are numerous options and I know many large D1 programs who have tall girls on their coed team. My husbands tallest partner at KU was 5'9", he is 6'3" so it was a very tall stunt!

Back