Cheering After A Year Off

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mhgirlymom

Cheer Parent
Mar 25, 2016
I had to pull my daughter out of cheer this year due to a family illness. I must say I have enjoyed the break, but we are looking at tryouts coming up soon. I've kept her in tumbling classes so she doesn't lose those skills. Has anyone had issues with a child going back into cheer after taking a year off?

As long as she has kept up her skills, she should really be fine.

The kids who have the biggest issues are the ones who have gotten out of conditioned shape. Ex: They haven't stretched, tumbled, or stunted at all in a year so they walk into a tryout situation and:

1. Are not as conditioned as everyone else.

2. Are throwing tumbling for the first time in months. If you do not use your tumbling, you could lose it. You also could hurt yourself if you start out trying to throw things you used to throw before.

This is all you need to say to her:
Have fun
Do your best
Have fun
I'm proud of you
Have fun

Don't worry about placements. If she gets placed lower than she left, that just means that she has no pressure to reacquire the skills she may have lost.

Thanks for the replies. I think I may end up having more issues than my CP when it comes to getting back into competing. I have really enjoyed the down time. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back