OT Cheerleader Called "chunky"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
She handled that amazingly well. What is it with woman tearing each other down? Like we don't get enough of that from the media and the male species. Now we have to deal with it from the people that should be the last to do it.
I wish I was a size 4.

This is so sad. I am well into my 40's and I am a size 0, 2 at most and I HATE IT! I have three teenage daughters and I would give anything to be a size 4/6 especially being 5'6"....I personally think that is too skinny...forget trying to find professional clothes that fit, but that's another story.
My second daughter, getting ready to start her freshman year in college is 5' and weighs about 115. She looks great, but the girl is built. 6 pack, thighs to die for and a pair of guns.....yes, all from cheerleading/tumbling.....but, some have indicated that she is too big.....Really? What exactly are you looking for? This has been discouraging to her and she is starting to look into dieting......Absolutely not. She is beautiful and a great cheerleader.
To all the young women out there, please do not forsake you health to please other people. Believe it or not, no matter how you look, there is someone out there that will find something wrong with you. Love yourself, emotionally and physically and everything else will fall into place.

I always wonder why people need to critize others because of their outside. Isn´t it so much more important what´s on the inside?
Does it really make them feel so much better that they have to hurt others feelings?
That´s sad.
And i really love cheerleading so much because any body type can be an important part of a team. As long as you work hard and give your best, you will be appreciated and not judged by the size of your jeans.

Guess I'm in the minority. When this story firs popped up and I was with my family (lots of males) and the consensus was yes she was "chunky", yes she needs to tone esp of she's going to be in the profession that she is in. Did the article need to be written? Maybe not. But that comes with the territory of making your self open to scrutiny. I was DCC Making the team ever season. When some gets cut for being bigger than the desired size...it's sad, but it's also a reality of their. Industry. There are also curvier toned pro cheerleaders than that girl that don't look as....sloppy (in my opinion).

Guess I'm in the minority. When this story firs popped up and I was with my family (lots of males) and the consensus was yes she was "chunky", yes she needs to tone esp of she's going to be in the profession that she is in. Did the article need to be written? Maybe not. But that comes with the territory of making your self open to scrutiny. I was DCC Making the team ever season. When some gets cut for being bigger than the desired size...it's sad, but it's also a reality of their. Industry. There are also curvier toned pro cheerleaders than that girl that don't look as....sloppy (in my opinion).

watch the interview Kelsey Williams Interview 2013: NBA Cheerleader Tells Critic 'You Know What We Go Through' | Video - ABC News look at other pictures of her. she is a size 4. size freaking four. depending on the angle of the photo, bodies can look a bit off. but she works out a lot. she does not need to lose weight. nothing is wrong with her body. she earned her spot on that team. she is not chunky. and she has every right to dress as she sees fit. and they wonder why there is a spike in young women with eating disorders.

watch the interview Kelsey Williams Interview 2013: NBA Cheerleader Tells Critic 'You Know What We Go Through' | Video
watch the interview Kelsey Williams Interview 2013: NBA Cheerleader Tells Critic 'You Know What We Go Through' | Video - ABC News look at other pictures of her. she is a size 4. size freaking four. depending on the angle of the photo, bodies can look a bit off. but she works out a lot. she does not need to lose weight. nothing is wrong with her body. she earned her spot on that team. she is not chunky. and she has every right to dress as she sees fit. and they wonder why there is a spike in young women with eating disorders.

I didn't say a size freaking four was big. I just said she needs to tone up. I didn't say she needed to lose weight, but she does need to tone. There is nothing wrong with saying someone needs to tone up. I tell my size freaking four older sister that she needs tone up all the time. I didn't dispute the fact that she earned her spot on the team. Nobody is disputing the fact that she has a right to dress how "she sees fit". Yes for the article posted in this thread they used a picture of her at an angle most people won't look good at, also having seen footage of her dancing on the court, toning. End of story. Just tone. Gain some muscle mass. Change the diet. Abs are made in the kitchen blah blah blah.

And also like I said, I can't get up in arms about the situation because like I said... the blog didn't need to be written but being criticized about appearance in a pro cheerleading uniform is the nature of the game. You can see Kelli and Judy break it down to girls weeknights on DCC Making the Team in the fall. If you can't handle it, opt to not do it.

i have lost all respect for HeresAThought someone i used to enjoy reading posts by. a size 4 is tiny. this is sad she is a beautiful petite girl and every picture but the one they of course chose to show as the main picture she looks incredibly toned. The world is mean and what do they think this will do t the size 8 muscular built cheerleader who wants be a professional one day.

i have lost all respect for HeresAThought someone i used to enjoy reading posts by. a size 4 is tiny. this is sad she is a beautiful petite girl and every picture but the one they of course chose to show as the main picture she looks incredibly toned. The world is mean and what do they think this will do t the size 8 muscular built cheerleader who wants be a professional one day.

That's fine and well, my feelings are not hurt. I've lost all respect for you because of your inability to respect others opinions. You're clearly taking this personally (because I'm assuming you are referring to yourself when you speak of the size 8 muscular built cheerleader) and that is unfortunate.

I'm not going to suppress my opinion (which again, was never that the woman is fat) to appease a stranger on the internet. Again I never said a size 4 is big. I personally have never been a size 4, but I doubt I would be ashamed to be a 4, or 6 or 8 or 10 or any other size

The fact of the matter is, this kind of scrutiny is what they're signed up for when they become professional cheerleaders. Is right, to some no. But it happens. If you can't handle it. Don't sign up for it. One thing I've learned in life is that a clothing size is a clothing size and in no way does it reflect a bodies appearance. Therefore a "8 muscular built cheerleader" may look just as lean as a "size 0, muscular built cheerleader". Its all a matter of opinion. What may look toned and attractive to you may not look toned and attractive to the next person. You can watch an episode of DCC and see that they body fat test the girls, and let them know what to lose, what to tone. Its an image. AN IMAGE THAT IS THEIR CHOICE TO TRY TO UPHOLD. I've known many pro cheerleaders. It is not uncommon. If you can't deal with it, don't do it.

That's fine and well, my feelings are not hurt. I've lost all respect for you because of your inability to respect others opinions. You're clearly taking this personally (because I'm assuming you are referring to yourself when you speak of the size 8 muscular built cheerleader) and that is unfortunate.

I'm not going to suppress my opinion (which again, was never that the woman is fat) to appease a stranger on the internet. Again I never said a size 4 is big. I personally have never been a size 4, but I doubt I would be ashamed to be a 4, or 6 or 8 or 10 or any other size

The fact of the matter is, this kind of scrutiny is what they're signed up for when they become professional cheerleaders. Is right, to some no. But it happens. If you can't handle it. Don't sign up for it. One thing I've learned in life is that a clothing size is a clothing size and in no way does it reflect a bodies appearance. Therefore a "8 muscular built cheerleader" may look just as lean as a "size 0, muscular built cheerleader". Its all a matter of opinion. What may look toned and attractive to you may not look toned and attractive to the next person. You can watch an episode of DCC and see that they body fat test the girls, and let them know what to lose, what to tone. Its an image. AN IMAGE THAT IS THEIR CHOICE TO TRY TO UPHOLD. I've known many pro cheerleaders. It is not uncommon. If you can't deal with it, don't do it.
i actually am not i aged out and am a size 2 but as a psychology major i study what this does to children

i actually am not i aged out and am a size 2 but as a psychology major i study what this does to children

You can be a pro cheerleader at any age so theres no aging out. I'm not trying to argue with by any means, but I think it speaks volumes that you shared your clothing size publically, just because I assumed that you were the size 8 you described in your post.Is there something wrong with being an 8? The label in your clothing is just a label. When you're in that situation people will have an opinion about what the body you're putting on display looks like, not what the label they can't see says.

Back