Cheerleading Fitness

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For those who have done/tried P90X and Insanity, which do you feel would be better for a summer workout plan? I'm currently a flyer on my university level 6 team, and because we are from across the country we have very few camps and practices in the summer, therefore I'm looking for some new way to keep in shape and not have that horrible time trying to get back into it come september.

"Power 300" at the end of my practices.

I guess I didn't explain this! Sorry!!!!

Power 300=

10 sets of 10 crunches, 10 squats, 10 pushups

alternate your squats with regular squats, frog hops, and lunges

alternate your pushups with 10seconds of planks

alternate your regular crunches with leg lifts, side crunches, pike ups, v-ups, bicycles, and full body crunches

We usually run 3-4 times around the building.. Then come in and do suicides. So basically LOTS of running!:) Also, hollow body positions and holding it for like 20 seconds then doing like 5 v-ups.. and then holding it again for 20 more seconds! We also do this thing where we run around the floor and we take turns tumbling and that really helps with your cardio and also your tumbling!!:) We also do bear crawls, holding pushup positions, crunches, and anything to do with abs! Ohh, and lunges :) :) Hope this helped!!

the hardest things our coaches do to condition us to give us more stamina are jump roping two feet at a time for the whole 2 1/2 of the music and doing a single toe touch one for every 8 count of the routine to music... but for both of these you cant stop or anything or the whole team has to start over

We just impletmented an Insanity/P90X hybrid to the conditioning phase for the cheer squad (I am an Exercise and Sport Science major). I thought Insanity was nuts...the hybrid is killer. It is a great workout...the cheerleaders hate us, but damn if it doesn't give them a good mix of cardio and strength training.

We use the last 15 minutes of practice to condition. One of our coaches' favorites is to split us into two "teams", then run suicides. The first team goes and has 17 seconds to finish their set (very challenging, with the lengths our coaches set--I think it's 3 panels, 5 panels, and 7 panels, but I'm not sure), then the second group goes. We do 15 sets, subtracting a second every 5 sets. If any person finishes over the allotted amount of time, their whole team does crunches.

It's really fun, obviously.

Back