Choreography For A High School Team With Little Tumble

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 31, 2014
Hi all,

I coach a high school team that has very little tumbling but the other teams in our county division do. The top 4 teams have a majority of their team doing standing BHS and running tumble. For the most part all of the teams in this division are pretty even in all other skills. How do I choreograph a routine that will standout and be competitive with a team of 30 (26 clean cartwheels, 20 clean round offs, 2 BHS and 1 full (running and standing)?

It would help if you post the score sheet you're choreographing to. Without it, any suggestions are speculation as to what would help your score, other than obvious things like making sure all skills are exceptionally clean and highlighting areas that your team performs well.

Hi all,

I coach a high school team that has very little tumbling but the other teams in our county division do. The top 4 teams have a majority of their team doing standing BHS and running tumble. For the most part all of the teams in this division are pretty even in all other skills. How do I choreograph a routine that will standout and be competitive with a team of 30 (26 clean cartwheels, 20 clean round offs, 2 BHS and 1 full (running and standing)?
What types of elements/skills does your scoresheet favor?

Generally, you are saying that you will be scoring in the lower range for tumbling difficulty compared to other teams. Therefore, you'll have to gain back those points in other areas of the scoresheet. Not sure what scoresheet you are going off of, but things such as nice, high & clean jumps, sharp stunting & SUPER cleanliness will stand out. Also creativity in the dance, stunts, etc. will help you be remembered.

I'll take the robot clean team with correct technique over the team doing harder but sloppier skills any day.

For starters, I recommend limiting the amount of tumbling in your routine since it isn't your strong suit. Stick to synchronized tumbling.

My comp team had a squad of 18 and 5 only tumbled, and we won nationals!! Yea we were in the novice division! But we still won! And it was a tough division! When making up the routine, I told myself I have to be creative, and to make the choreo sassy so the girls love it and make it look good so the judges are entertained,
and also our stunts have to be clean and difficult, (all one legged stunts have to be at prep level) so we would do tick tocks pull different body positions while transitioning to different formations ,had center group go up and half twist tic tock, our stunt section was like 5-6 8counts ,kinda long but had to be cause tumbling wasn't our strongest! Hopefully that works, also find what your girls are really good at, maybe it's jumps , make the jump section stand out! Maybe they're sharp, make cool and fun choreo in between transitions!

You're on the MHSCA score sheet? That is the wonkiest thing to figure out.

Rubric is here: http://marylandcheercoaches.org/docs/MPSSC Rubrics revised 10.13.pdf

What I hate is that in order to score well in jumps, your team has to be able to tumble. It kills you if at least 50% of your team can't throw at minimum a standing BHS. To be brutally honest, you're going to get really low scores in jumps, standing tumbling and running tumbling, so you're going to need to make your stunts, pyramid and basket the best sections anyone has ever seen. I wish I could tell you that you can boost your score with creativity, but the rubric sets you up to fail. It stinks.

Rubric is here: http://marylandcheercoaches.org/docs/MPSSC Rubrics revised 10.13.pdf

What I hate is that in order to score well in jumps, your team has to be able to tumble. It kills you if at least 50% of your team can't throw at minimum a standing BHS. To be brutally honest, you're going to get really low scores in jumps, standing tumbling and running tumbling, so you're going to need to make your stunts, pyramid and basket the best sections anyone has ever seen. I wish I could tell you that you can boost your score with creativity, but the rubric sets you up to fail. It stinks.
I want to know who wrote that scoresheet...

I want to know who wrote that scoresheet...
No idea. It's not a bad scoresheet, it just must be frustrating for teams without tumbling. On the flip side, much of cheerleading is tumbling and if your athletes can't do it, then maybe you shouldn't score well? I don't have a dog in the fight or really an opinion, I just find the jump rubric interesting.

Lucky for me our county does not participate in the state cheer program and uses a different score sheet and rubrics. Although our rules are more strict...from what your saying I think I may be better off. I can send you a copy.

Back