High School Choreography

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 17, 2013
So the squad I'm on is competing for the first time this year and I'm the only one with choreography experience like I'm the only one who knows how to put a routine together because our coach is leaving it up to is to choreograph and put it together and everyone is just wanting to mix up the dances we learned at different camps (including nca) and we are planning on going to nationals and I keep telling them we need to do it ourself or not take countless 8 counts from dances everyone will probably know but no one is listening to me. How do it get them to see its going to look bad if we take our routine where over half of the dance is from nca camp???

It also seems to be very cliquey like one stunt group feels way better than the other and thinks they new to stunt more than anyone else. And the people with no expire nice with performing somewhere other than on the sideline for games thinks they know exactly what they're doing and I keep trying to tell them competition is different from side line cheers but no one listens to me and the coach doesn't put much input to help fix anything and two of us have talked to her. And nothing happens can anyone help with any of these?

It also seems to be very cliquey like one stunt group feels way better than the other and thinks they new to stunt more than anyone else. And the people with no expire nice with performing somewhere other than on the sideline for games thinks they know exactly what they're doing and I keep trying to tell them competition is different from side line cheers but no one listens to me and the coach doesn't put much input to help fix anything and two of us have talked to her. And nothing happens can anyone help with any of these?
Does the point stunt group have a superiority complex?

No and we don't have a point group since there's only 2 stunt groups we only have a team of 9

I'm going to hop on the soapbox for a second.

Sounds like your coach and squad may want to sit down and really think about whether Nationals is for you. That's a huge expense to not take seriously. I understand that you're taking it seriously, but it sounds like your coach is somewhat clueless. You can't have your high school girls choreograph their own routine and expect to do well at UCA or NCA Nationals. Neither competition is cheap, so that's a lot of money to through away for a poorly thought out "experience."

I'm going to hop on the soapbox for a second.

Sounds like your coach and squad may want to sit down and really think about whether Nationals is for you. That's a huge expense to not take seriously. I understand that you're taking it seriously, but it sounds like your coach is somewhat clueless. You can't have your high school girls choreograph their own routine and expect to do well at UCA or NCA Nationals. Neither competition is cheap, so that's a lot of money to through away for a poorly thought out "experience."
Thank you. I have a headache and the words weren't coming.

No offense, but high school aged girls typically don't understand what the judges are looking for, and might try to do something akin to a halftime dance.

As a coach, I wouldn't leave it all up to my squad to choreograph the whole routine. I would have them come up with some 8 counts of dance to incorporate so that there is some squad ownership to the routine. I would ask for suggestions, ask them to watch some videos, get ideas, etc. The reason I would do this is...

I was on a squad in hs that my coach left it up to me to do. Granted, I love choreographing routines and can come up with amazing stuff on the fly, but the pressure was on me. When we went to regionals and got first, I felt amazing, that was my routine I made up, I taught it well, we performed it well. But when we went to state and got 11th/30 some squads, I felt like it was my fault cause that was my routine, I must not have put enough into it, I must not have taught it well enough, I must not have performed it well enough.

It's a lot of pressure to put on one person. If you can afford to hire a choreographer, by all means do so. If you can't, then it needs to be the coach's call. Talk to her, let her know that you can't seem to all agree upon what to use. Let her know the differing opinions. Be honest, but respectful. Good luck!

Explain (respectfully) to your coach that it is too much responsibility for you, especially if she thinks it's going to be a Nationals routine. I would definitely go into an empty classroom with computer access after a night of practice and preview the teams in your potential division and have your coach and your teammates watch.

If Nationals is something your coach believes your team can accomplish, explain that she either needs to figure out choreography herself or look into hiring a choreographer. Hiring is something you'll have to discuss as a team.. because it isn't cheap.

Good luck. Remember that you're also a student.. concentrating too much on developing a routine will take away from the time you should be doing assignments and studying!

Back