High School Choreography

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No we live in iowa
That would put you closer to TX... at NCA you are expected to do a crowd-leading cheer in one performance (with signs, poms, etc.) and a separate performance to music (like an all-star routine, with a fast-paced cheer). A lot of the teams at NCA are from in state (Texas) and many of them $1000s to all star coaches from CA, Spirit and Woodlands for their choreography. I'm not sure where your stunting and tumbling abilities are as a team, but I'm assuming that if you ever go, you would compete as a small novice team. You should have at least 12 girls if you want to be successful in the small division.

I might be wrong, anyone that's been to NCA HS Nationals can correct me on this one.

Last edited:
That would put you closer to TX... at NCA you are expected to do a crowd-leading cheer in one performance (with signs, poms, etc.) and a separate performance to music (like an all-star routine, with a fast-paced cheer). A lot of the team at NCA are from in state (Texas) and many of them $1000s to all star coaches from CA, Spirit and Woodlands for their choreography. I'm not sure where your stunting and tumbling abilities are as a team, but I'm assuming that if you ever go, you would compete as a small novice team. You should have at least 12 girls if you want to be successful in the small division.
I might be wrong, anyone that's been to NCA HS Nationals can correct me on this one.

There's the gameday division & the performance division.
Performance division is 1:30 music and 1:00 cheer. The cheer is typically all words, no crowdleading.
(UCA is the style with signs, poms etc. in the cheer scoring. NCA COLLEGE nationals makes them do a cheer with crowdleading prior to their routine however. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?)
Gameday division is where teams can show off their crowdleading skills (time out cheer, fight song, props, etc.)

@Ashley Pearl I really think you guys are in over your head. NCA Nationals is quite the wake up call for teams outside of Texas/Oklahoma honestly. I will try and help you out the best that I can if you are absolutely set on competing though........... I know that is a tough spot to be in & you need to be in the right division, hitting the scoresheet as best as you can.

You say that you are a squad of 10.
What is the oldest age/grade on your team (i.e. do you have high school seniors)?
Out of those 10, what are each individuals highest standing & running tumbling skills?
What are the highest level solid stunts that both groups are able to consistently do?

PM me.

I enjoy choreographing own routines (as a coach) but girls can't be expected to come up with a nationals routine. I think it's fine to let team choreograph a game day or pep rally routine, but a competition routine is a totally different ball game.

My team went to NCA high school nationals for the first time my sophomore year (2013) and entered in the large intermediate division. We are from California and got 3rd place.
I can say from my experience, definitely hire a choreographer. We had some great coaches, but they opted to hire a choreographer. It's a very serious competition. Majority of teams there don't take it lightly and the Texas teams are amazing. Many of their routines reminded me of the style of higher level allstar routines. Do your research on NCA nationals, read up on their rules, and get a good understanding of what you're potentially going to be spending a lot of money on.
I wish you the best of luck! I hope everything ends up working out.

@Ashley Pearl I assume since you went to camp and learned dances there, that you also got your national bid at camp as well. If you are serious about going to nationals, have your coach email the NCA State Director for your region (it would be the same person they were in contact with to get you to camp.) Your State Director would be able to get you set up with an NCA choreographer, who could put together a routine for you to take to nationals that will hit the score sheet well.

HI, So I think you need to watch NCA videos AND look at a score sheet before you start. The problem is high school girls want to do what they think looks cool.

If you are going to be doing NCA, the format is 2:30, cheer required. It is more of a show cheer, not a crowd leading cheer. Watch videos on varsity.com. During the cheer squads show motions, stunt, and tumble and even do tosses and pyramids. Typically they close with all dance.

Honestly, talk to your coach, I really think if your coach does not have choreo experience you need to consider hiring out.

I have choreo experience and I still hire out for some things.

Back