College Colleges And Sororities

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheermom5678

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
Which colleges allow cheerleaders to pledge a sorority? Which colleges can you not be both a cheerleader and in a sorority? How hard is it to be in both?

I go to App State, I cheer and I am in a sorority. It can be done, but I joined my sorority before I cheered, so joining both was easier. I had friends last year who went through recruitment and cheered, it wasn't the easiest going through recruitment during the begging of cheer but they managed. I am not going to lie, it can be hard sometimes to do both. I look at it this way: first I am in college to learn and get a degree, second I am cheerleader for my school, and thirdly I am in my sorority. My coach does not allow us to miss any cheer event for the sorority, so sometimes I miss events with mine, but its not often. The girls in my sorority are very helpful and understanding of me missing for cheer and they are proud of me for cheering too. Its all about balance, like with anything in college. However, my opinion is that if its allowed and you want to, you should do both. I love both things and enjoy that I get to experience both in college!

I Joined a Sorority then quiet cheer due to cheer practice interfering with Chapter meetings. I was also never treated very well on my cheer team due to my high morals so choosing my Sorority over cheer was easy for me.

I was in a sorority and cheered in college. It was hard but worth it to me. Our coach hated sororities so it was known that you don't miss any cheer event for a sorority event. The sorority was great about working with us (there were about 8 cheerleaders in my sorority my first year, even more my second.) I went through recruitment freshman year, and it was the 2nd or 3rd week of school, so right during the start of football season, pep rallies, and pr events.

I won't lie it was hard and I missed a lot of sorority events. I missed visiting a lot of houses during recruitment because of practice, and would literally run to the house parties (where you get to know them) after practice in my cheer clothes. It was odd being in practice clothes, when everyone else was dressed up, but like I said the sororities knew why and were very understanding. Our rho chi's (some call them phi chi's - the girls that led recruitment week) we're great with working with us too, they made sure we visited the houses we were interested in, and missed the ones we weren't interested in. Once in my sorority I missed every new member meeting but 2 because of practice conflicts. Myself and the other girls that cheered had private meetings to keep us caught up. The first semester was the hardest, because there were so many conflicts, I barely knew anyone in my pledge class outside of the other cheerleaders. After initiation and becoming an active though the meeting times were later and there weren't as many conflicts so I really got to feel like a part of the sorority more. The beginning was the hardest but it got easier as I learned to juggle and the conflicts weren't as many. You have to stay on top of your grades though, because you are juggling a lot! One thing to think about is when the sorority has meetings. Mine met on Monday nights, we practiced until 6 on Mondays, so it was always a rush to get there. ALL of the other sororities on our campus met on Sunday nights and I would have never had a conflict, however none of those sororities are the one that I wanted!

Many schools allow it and like it, because it broadens who you are as well as who the school/team is. Some coaches/programs have certain rules about them though. Most require cheer to be in front of the sorority in terms of priorities (just as a heads up!)

I did both. We were not permitted to miss cheer for anything but scheduled class, so I did miss sorority functions. However, my chapter was OK with it-because they liked to be able to say that they had a cheerleader in the chapter. It was a major bragging point on our campus.

Back