High School Competing A Team For The First Time...ideas?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cupieqt

Person everyone wants to meet this season
Jan 24, 2011
I'm about to put together a routine for the high school team I've been coaching for the last 3 years. I'm an all-star coach and I have never competed a high school team. I need some ideas for this group but I'm not sure where to begin. Any suggestions--videos, cheer, stunts?

I am in the same boat as you!! I never realized how different the two are, and I was both a high school and all star cheerleader! I am afraid all of our routines will be too all starish and that will reflect on our score sheets!

I coach both and what I do is I make my routine have that sharp look that all star has but with more classic skills as in stunting and jump sequences. The only thing that I make kind of closer to all stars is my dance just because high school dances seem too boring too me sometimes. I also have my stunts and arm motions as well as the words of my cheer reflect the theme their music.

I coach both and what I do is I make my routine have that sharp look that all star has but with more classic skills as in stunting and jump sequences. The only thing that I make kind of closer to all stars is my dance just because high school dances seem too boring too me sometimes. I also have my stunts and arm motions as well as the words of my cheer reflect the theme their music.
This sounds like just the jumping off point I need! The sponsor of the team loved my sr 3 routine from last year and said she wanted something like that. I know it's too "all-star" (plus I don't want to recycle a whole routine) but now I think I could use it as a basis and just plug in the school cheer elements in certain areas.
Speaking of levels though, what is legal and illegal? I need a rule book!

This sounds like just the jumping off point I need! The sponsor of the team loved my sr 3 routine from last year and said she wanted something like that. I know it's too "all-star" (plus I don't want to recycle a whole routine) but now I think I could use it as a basis and just plug in the school cheer elements in certain areas.

Rules vary by state, so I'd get the rule book just to be safe! Good luck!

I would find out what the state rules are and if they have certain competition rules. For example up until this year we were a school that competed at allstar comps (jamfest etc.) so our rules were different. Also make sure you are hitting whatever score sheet they have! I would suggest going on youtube and trying to find videos of where they compete to get ideas on what the routines are like.

Your welcome. Your athletic director should have this years rule book to give to you. Most states for legal stunts fall between Level 3 & 4 all stars but without the crazy amounts of flipping in pyramids and such. Most states allow flipping from dismounts or into cradles but very few allow more than that. Once you get a book it will have each stunt broken down to what is legal and what isn't.

CoachC2 said:
Your welcome. Your athletic director should have this years rule book to give to you. Most states for legal stunts fall between Level 3 & 4 all stars but without the crazy amounts of flipping in pyramids and such. Most states allow flipping from dismounts or into cradles but very few allow more than that. Once you get a book it will have each stunt broken down to what is legal and what isn't.

Thank you so much! I feel alot better about it already. If the AD doesn't have that book I'll get my hands on it somehow. Is there a title I need to know?

I may be pm'ing you about some more things lol!

High school teams follow AACCA regulations for tumbling and stunting. www.aacca.org for rules

Your state or league may have more strict rules. Some states have rules about the routine format (i.e.: must have 3 jumps in the first 30 seconds, no tumbling in first 30 seconds etc.). Check with your state director on that.

Sidenote: it terrifies me that you've been coaching this team for 3 years and are just now asking what stunt are allowed at that level. Rules are not set in place to keep the competition a level playing field. Rules are put in place to keep the athletes safe at competitions, games and practices. The rules apply 100% of the time, not just if you're competing.

Look at the videos from UCA High School Nationals for inspiration:)

High school teams follow AACCA regulations for tumbling and stunting. www.aacca.org for rules

Your state or league may have more strict rules. Some states have rules about the routine format (i.e.: must have 3 jumps in the first 30 seconds, no tumbling in first 30 seconds etc.). Check with your state director on that.

Sidenote: it terrifies me that you've been coaching this team for 3 years and are just now asking what stunt are allowed at that level. Rules are not set in place to keep the competition a level playing field. Rules are put in place to keep the athletes safe at competitions, games and practices. The rules apply 100% of the time, not just if you're competing.

Sorry to terrify you. They were a ground bound team before I became their coach. Our first year together there were only 8 and only 2 had ever cheered. Elevators were our hardest stunt. I knew those were legal. Last year we graduated to a team of 9 and started working extensions and prep level libs and 2 girls got back handsprings. I knew those were legal too.

This year we are doing very well with 13 on the team. They went to a UCA camp and attended advanced stunting classes. In all these years they've only come to my gym for 4 months out of the year for a once a week, 1 hour class on tumbling and some basic stunting. It's because of how well they did at camp this year that the sponsor has asked me to step it up. So that is why I am just now looking into the rules for competition. Their sponsor (who attends all of their functions) is well aware of the rules and what they can and cannot do at games, etc. I do not attend games.

Back