Competing/ Practicing With An Injury?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 27, 2012
Hey all!

So I have a random question to ask.

I cheer and play Rugby, and I suppose I haven't been doing either too well as I've sprained my left wrist.

I've competed on a sprain before ( this past weekend in cheer, and loads of times when playing rugby) because I didn't want my coaches to be upset. I cheer for a level 4.2 team so we're not super competitive, but another base in my stunt group has a sprained wrist as well so I didn't want to cause a fuss. I don't want to be dramatic about anything or seem unwilling to participate, but it's really starting to hurt. I can barely tilt my left wrist anymore. One of my coaches is even stepping in for a competition so I don't want to upset anyone by being difficult. On the same note, I'm looking to be a paramedic, and ruining my left wrist any further will hurt my physical score. I've gotten a Doctor to take a look so I know exactly what's wrong. I don't know what I should do.

Should I compete and hope that my wrist heals over winter break? Or leave it be? Being a Paramedic means the world to me but I don't want to let anyone down.

thanks in advanced!

you can defiantly compete, just take it easy and rotate between putting ice and a heating pad on it. that will help. :)

If you can't bend your wrist without having pain, I would say no. don't further the injury if it's already that bad. it'll only cause more damage and take longer to heal.

Reactions: Ems
If you can't bend your wrist without having pain, I would say no. don't further the injury if it's already that bad. it'll only cause more damage and take longer to heal.
I completely agree. I did the same thing with my elbow. I sprained it last October (2011), didn't take it easy, and it kept hurting (badly). Then I ended up making it worse this May and spent the entire summer in physical therapy and it still is achey at times. I'm one of those people who absolutely hate letting down the team, like if I had a broken neck, I would still want to compete.
As hard as it is, you gotta take a break and allow yourself to properly heal. Trust me, otherwise you can be out for much longer.

I completely agree. I did the same thing with my elbow. I sprained it last October (2011), didn't take it easy, and it kept hurting (badly). Then I ended up making it worse this May and spent the entire summer in physical therapy and it still is achey at times. I'm one of those people who absolutely hate letting down the team, like if I had a broken neck, I would still want to compete.
As hard as it is, you gotta take a break and allow yourself to properly heal. Trust me, otherwise you can be out for much longer.
Same here.well kinda.i was involved in a..."tumbling collision" last march.I wasn't tumbling but someone landed right on top of me.it was bad.my back hurt immediately after,ad that was only day one of a national comp and I was in two teams so double the competiton time.luckily it was our last one of the season though.that was march 31 and I was out till sometime in mid July.I took it easy,did physical therapy and came back in time for choreo in aug but probably couldve even used more PT.back still hurts now! I hate injuries.

You need to take the time and talk to your coach and tell him/her what's going on. No coach will tell you to do something if they think that it will injure you further. YES cheer is very important but, as you said, you have goals in life and don't let cheer take those away from you.
Think about what Adult Paramedic You say to a girl who is in intense pain whenever she moves her wrist?
Go talk to your coach, then see a doctor about it.

Back