Competition Endurance

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 10, 2016
Hi all!
I apologize if there's a thread on this, I did look but couldn't find one pertaining to my exact question. This is my first year of all star cheer and I'm loving it! However, when we compete, by the time we've finished warming up and going full out, all my energy is drained and then once we hit the mat, I find myself struggling. I'm only on level 2 so it's not super demanding. I don't know whether it's my endurance or just mentally keeping my stamina up or what. We do a few full outs each practice so maybe it's just nerves that are affecting my performance? If anyone has any tips on dealing with nerves or improving my full out endurance I would appreciate it!

What are you eating and drinking competition day prior to competing?

I like to go for something healthy, I usually have a salad or sandwich in the car, maybe a muesli bar and mineral water or fruit juice to drink. Then when I arrive in the city, I will buy something like sushi or rice paper rolls and a fruit smoothie. If I eat lots of fresh produce and some carbs and sugar, I feel energetic and ready to compete. If I have fats, I feel lethargic and don't compete as well.

I know you said the day before, but on the day of, I don't eat breakfast (bad habit I know, but I just can't eat anything). I'll leave the hotel and arrive at the comp. There I will buy a purple Powerade (superstitions these days, my club color is purple and the first time I had one we came 2nd which is the best we've ever came) and drink some of that, then go to warmups. If I compete later, I don't really know. I'll try to eat something but I often don't end up eating a real meal until after. It's part of my nerves. Some girls are getting chips and chicken before competing, but if I did that I'd be throwing up all the time like MichaelEddie. After, I eat so badly lol. I'll get chips, icecream things like that,

ETA-I finished typing this and realised you were specifically asking the OP. :oops::oops::oops: So is this now another food thread?:popcorn:

You need to work your cardio. When I was cheering, I didn't run very much and just did strength training and then cheer practices. When I quit cheer, I started running as a hobby and my endurance is so much better. Start by running 2 miles 3 days a week, and then increase it as you go. You'll feel a difference. I ran a half-marathon and then ran to work an 8 hour shift in a restaurant thanks to having good cardio.

I like to go for something healthy, I usually have a salad or sandwich in the car, maybe a muesli bar and mineral water or fruit juice to drink. Then when I arrive in the city, I will buy something like sushi or rice paper rolls and a fruit smoothie. If I eat lots of fresh produce and some carbs and sugar, I feel energetic and ready to compete. If I have fats, I feel lethargic and don't compete as well.

I know you said the day before, but on the day of, I don't eat breakfast (bad habit I know, but I just can't eat anything). I'll leave the hotel and arrive at the comp. There I will buy a purple Powerade (superstitions these days, my club color is purple and the first time I had one we came 2nd which is the best we've ever came) and drink some of that, then go to warmups. If I compete later, I don't really know. I'll try to eat something but I often don't end up eating a real meal until after. It's part of my nerves. Some girls are getting chips and chicken before competing, but if I did that I'd be throwing up all the time like MichaelEddie. After, I eat so badly lol. I'll get chips, icecream things like that,

ETA-I finished typing this and realised you were specifically asking the OP. :oops::oops::oops: So is this now another food thread?:popcorn:
This was still helpful! Gives me an idea of what to eat! Thank you! Haha
(Also sorry if I quote this wrong)

What are you eating and drinking competition day prior to competing?
I usually eat breakfast so like cereal or something similar and since we typically compete around 4-5pm, I'll eat a turkey sandwich around 2pm and then a granola bar before we compete. Maybe I'm not eating enough foods that will give me energy? I honestly don't know hahah if anyone has any good food ideas, send them my way!

You need to work your cardio. When I was cheering, I didn't run very much and just did strength training and then cheer practices. When I quit cheer, I started running as a hobby and my endurance is so much better. Start by running 2 miles 3 days a week, and then increase it as you go. You'll feel a difference. I ran a half-marathon and then ran to work an 8 hour shift in a restaurant thanks to having good cardio.
I'll give it a try! Thank you!!!

My personnal tip is HIIT training. It worked for me, and it was the way we were trained in college. To me it's the perfect mix of weight training and cardio. It's short and intense, kinda like warm-up, full-out and competing.

And yes, food AND GOOD SLEEP. You need a complete night of sleep before competing. It's easy to get nervous and manage it with the facebooking and texting all night... but lack of sleep shows in your performance too.

My personnal tip is HIIT training. It worked for me, and it was the way we were trained in college. To me it's the perfect mix of weight training and cardio. It's short and intense, kinda like warm-up, full-out and competing.

And yes, food AND GOOD SLEEP. You need a complete night of sleep before competing. It's easy to get nervous and manage it with the facebooking and texting all night... but lack of sleep shows in your performance too.
I'll have to try HIIT, I have a competition coming up in about a week, do you think working out a couple times before than would make a difference or no? I know you can't say for sure lol I guess it can't hurt..
I usually get a good sleep, thankfully!!!

I'll have to try HIIT, I have a competition coming up in about a week, do you think working out a couple times before than would make a difference or no? I know you can't say for sure lol I guess it can't hurt..
I usually get a good sleep, thankfully!!!
You might find it hard and starting the week before your competition might not be the best idea. A few weeks would be more like it. Running would then be my choice.

Hi all!
I apologize if there's a thread on this, I did look but couldn't find one pertaining to my exact question. This is my first year of all star cheer and I'm loving it! However, when we compete, by the time we've finished warming up and going full out, all my energy is drained and then once we hit the mat, I find myself struggling. I'm only on level 2 so it's not super demanding. I don't know whether it's my endurance or just mentally keeping my stamina up or what. We do a few full outs each practice so maybe it's just nerves that are affecting my performance? If anyone has any tips on dealing with nerves or improving my full out endurance I would appreciate it!
Try sucking on peppermint candies before you compete. The peppermint does something that allows you to breathe easier & wakes up the brain. Teachers give them to kids during testing. Driving long distances or at night it's helpful to keep you awake & alert. It may just be the thing to wake up your brain allowing you to push through mentally. Try sucking on a piece or if you're like me chewing some Altoids before practice & you'll feel the difference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Try sucking on peppermint candies before you compete. The peppermint does something that allows you to breathe easier & wakes up the brain. Teachers give them to kids during testing. Driving long distances or at night it's helpful to keep you awake & alert. It may just be the thing to wake up your brain allowing you to push through mentally. Try sucking on a piece or if you're like me chewing some Altoids before practice & you'll feel the difference.

I have practice tomorrow- I'm gonna give it a shot and see if it makes a difference! Thank you, I never thought of trying this!

You might find it hard and starting the week before your competition might not be the best idea. A few weeks would be more like it. Running would then be my choice.
You're probably right haha thanks again for all your advice! :)

You were my first shimmy! Hahah thank you!

Back