All-Star Competitive Salary For Coaches

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Hey everyone!

A friend of mine (a fellow retired all star) is in the process of starting her own cheer gym. She asked me the other day what I thought a competitive salary/benefits to offer full time coaches and tumbling instructors would be and I drew a blank. It is her ambition to hire experienced, industry veterans and wanted to know what salary range she would need to offer to entice the staff she is hoping to hire to come to a brand new gym. She is just looking for a ballpark figure for what the big name gyms were offering full time coaches for a salary + benefits. If anyone would be willing to offer insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to dm me.

Thanks so much for the help.

You would have to get salaries in your area, as I am sure they differ greatly say from Cali to Michigan for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is just looking for ballpark figures from established gyms in different areas of the country to get an idea of what it would take to hire full time coaches. So any info would be helpful :)

That is going to be tricky to get, especially publicly. Most coaches and their program owners don't want to talk about actual salary numbers for obvious reasons. Not only does it cause unease within a gym with staffers comparing what they make to another, it becomes an issue with the cheer community as well. I mean if I for example make more than a coach at a mega major brand name gym, that coach then can use my salary to barter for theirs being higher. As well many parents seem to have an idea that coaches should not get paid but so much anyway if at all, so if you come in higher than that, I can see a real backlash.

I always say you pay somebody according to three main factors: education, experience and expectations. Review these often. Provide increases if they are being met and exceeded. Handle appropriately if they are not. Understand the demographics of your area and what it takes to relocate and live there vs staying where they are. For example my wife makes about 70,000.00 teaching in NC, including benefits. If she came out here she wouldn't make 30,000.00 with benefits and she has been teaching over 25 years. So for us it makes sense she stay where she is. Likewise what I make here I couldn't even come close to making in NC, no matter what the name or size of the gym. That is the issue with the demographics.

Last edited:
I don't think "full time" coaches are all that common, especially in startup programs. I've been with programs where all of the coaches have had outside full time jobs. I've also been in a program where the coaches have a much larger time commitment. That said, I don't know how much of their time falls under salary, and how much is "freelance" income earned by giving privates.

It depends on your area. Also how does the owner knows he or she will be big gym? Big gyms and small gyms pay differently. She's needs to be looking at both sides of the spectrum. Also, where is she going to get the highly qualified instructors from? Many times if she's hiring someone who is already experience in coaching they will have their own flat rate you have to pay them.

Also, depending on your area and the cheer interest most gyms start small.

Our local program pays 10/hr for part time coaches. Most staff are working part time jobs and giving privates for extra money and freelancing around local gym or related programs. She needs to go with what she can afford. The question she should be asking her self is where is the money going to come from to offer high quality pay.

That is devastatingly low.
That might have been slightly low. Starting salary for teachers is definitely low 30s. Average might be high 30s to low 40s. But yeah, not a lot.

But then again you can get a very nice 3 bedroom home in my area back home for like 140k. It's all relative, I suppose.

That might have been slightly low. Starting salary for teachers is definitely low 30s. Average might be high 30s to low 40s. But yeah, not a lot.

But then again you can get a very nice 3 bedroom home in my area back home for like 140k. It's all relative, I suppose.
I just think we'll never improve education standards in this country without attracting the best and brightest to be teachers. And we'll never attract the best and brightest to be teachers unless we pay them a decent salary.

But that's probably another discussion for another time.

I just think we'll never improve education standards in this country without attracting the best and brightest to be teachers. And we'll never attract the best and brightest to be teachers unless we pay them a decent salary.

We choose to pay more to the people and system to entertain us (sports, music, movies, etc) than to those that educate us.

There is the big problem right there.

I totally agree

Last edited:

I was casually complaining about something about work and my ex-bf asked "why don't you go work at a school?" And I literally guffawed in his face. Even having a Masters + 12 (needing to take 6 hrs to get the Masters + 18 salary here) I would have to work 6-7 years at a school to get the stair step raises just to make close to my current salary.

It's sad.

Especially considering librarians are underpaid already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back