Declaring Levels

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am a little more lenient on the level dropping thing than most people but I don't think you should see a list of your competitors until after you have registered and I don't think you should be allowed to change levels after registering for an event

I agree. There shouldn't be any division changing after the lineup has been posted, period. What exactly are we teaching our kids when we move them from division to division trying to find the easiest one to win??? Is winning a jacket really that important??

We had had to change levels 2 times this season in order to actually HAVE competition - And we are NOT a level 4 or 5 team. We are a lower level team that has just been unlucky this season in that there have not been many teams registered in our division. Making changes to a routine 1 week before a competition is not ideal, but it is what we felt we needed to do in order to actually compete They are solid for their level and it is a perfect division for them, so it hurts them to have to make changes....but we can't get a straight answer out of competition companies before the schedule is posted (I'm sure they think we will drop - which we will - if there is no one in our division - so they get our money first and then won't refund us once the schedule is posted.)

Sorry if I sound bitter, but it is happening again and I am just frustrated.

I feel like in the case that you are in a division by yourself the company should find a way to combine you with another division of the same level... To me a level 3 team competing against a coed 3 team is the most fair solution, rather than letting the 3 team drop down to 2 or forcing them up to 4... Heck I would probably rather have a junior team go against a senior team if everyone really wanted some competition

indiglow said:
We had had to change levels 2 times this season in order to actually HAVE competition - And we are NOT a level 4 or 5 team. We are a lower level team that has just been unlucky this season in that there have not been many teams registered in our division. Making changes to a routine 1 week before a competition is not ideal, but it is what we felt we needed to do in order to actually compete They are solid for their level and it is a perfect division for them, so it hurts them to have to make changes....but we can't get a straight answer out of competition companies before the schedule is posted (I'm sure they think we will drop - which we will - if there is no one in our division - so they get our money first and then won't refund us once the schedule is posted.)

Sorry if I sound bitter, but it is happening again and I am just frustrated.

I'm not sure I agree with this though because at most all competitions there are usually high points awarded for each level. So even if there is no one in your specific division, you are competing against all the other teams in your level for the overall awards. That's what I teach my kids. I don't change their division, I just let them know at that specific competition they are going for grand/high point.

I will agree about not changing levels in most situations - and we tell our kids that they can go for grand champion BUT 4.2 is VERY difficult level to win grand champion. They can't max out level 4 so chances are very slim that they will win level 4 grand champion AND they aren't eligible for level 2 grand champion because they can outmax level 2 stunts.

Ahhh, well no offense but I hate that division anyway so I just wish they'd do away with it. It doesn't make any sense really. I have yet to see a 4.2 team that I thought was great. 4.3 would make more sense than 4.2. But anyway, I could go on forever about this division...

I understand what 4.2 is trying to do, but really they should have modified senior level 2 into something more (allowed some extended stunts, no twisting but trick baskets ok, and modified pyramid rules) and get rid of 4.2. Maybe make 2 1/2

Kingston said:
I understand what 4.2 is trying to do, but really they should have modified senior level 2 into something more (allowed some extended stunts, no twisting but trick baskets ok, and modified pyramid rules) and get rid of 4.2. Maybe make 2 1/2

I understand what they are trying to do as well, but it's not working. But one of the things I think is PERFECT in our sport right now is our level play system. If we're gonna let level 2 do slightly harder stunts, then why not level 3? Why not level 4? Why not level 5 experiment with flipping baskets?? You know what I mean? There's a reason level 2 is limited in what they can do. And you can't compare a level 2 all star squad to a school team. School squads are made up of kids with many different ability levels.

True, BUT the reason 4.2 exists is selling shoulder level stunts to high school seniors is hard. So senior 2 is a hard swallow sometimes. Beefing up JUST senior 2 would change that.

Ya, I know. Maybe the USASF could do something to change the stunting rules for senior divisions only. Like make level 2 extended one leg stunts with straight cradles and toe touch baskets only, level 3 one leg with full downs and full twisting baskets, level 4 one leg with full downs but add the double down with two legs and kick full/double full baskets. IDK, I would prefer something like this much more than a 4.2 level.

level 3 is fine really, just up level 2 like i said for senior.

From my perspective, I have kids that cheer in high school and wanted to compete (can stunt level 4/5 and tumble 1/2) and also a group of amazing kids who have been in the sport 4-5 years but are just struggling running tumbling wise (can do level 3 standing tumbling no problem). This division gave those kids a "reason" for lack of better words to learn new skills.

I HATE the name 4.2 but like the idea. Would love some tweeking to it just like Kingston & McLovin said. My suggestion is to rename it but I am not sure what... Senior Open, Senior Limited, Senior Advanced? IDK.
I would also like to see level 3 standing tumbling, level 2 running tumbling, and then level 4 stunts ; that would also give in another good reason to change the name!

cheerbri said:
I don't get the level senior 4.2. like what's the point of it?

Don't take this the wrong way...what is the point of level 1? level 2? Level 5? Tiny? Junior? Senior 5 open? Any level/age group for that matter!

I see the point to ALL levels...learn new skills (both cheerwise and life skills), make friends to last a lifetime, get exercise - do something other than sitting on the couch, learn how to be a leader, learn how to work as group, learn how to set goals and the steps needed to achieve those goals. There are many others but that is just a start!

I have struggled with the 4.2 issue (I was not a believer at first and I still think there need to be some adjustments made) but it IS a good thing. I think a huge positive of this level is the potential for kids to come off these teams and onto college cheer squads and be great at it. It could be cheering football games and basketball games or it could be on an intermediate competitive college team (which is similar to this level). But there are many kids who want to cheer college (who aren't level 5 kids) and if they are stuck at level 2 stunts they are going to be behind when it comes to those college teams.

From a coaches standpoint, I am thinking they would love it if the graduated cheerleader from their program went to college and was told what an great stunter they were. I am sure that athlete would proudly say, "I cheered at such and such gym." Those college coaches may remember that. And when they are holding a clinic or doing basic recruiting take another look at the kids that came out of that program.

Back