High School Did You Know?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

UKCheerdad

Cheer Parent
Feb 1, 2011
You can move to a new school district out of state and go out for the football team, chorus, band, Chess Team, Math Team, or any other team the school has....BUT if you miss cheerleading tryouts the spring semester before, you can not be on the cheerleading squad!

Even if you win the UCA Partner Stunt National Championships...

it's not like that in NH. We don't have spring tryouts. We have two seperate seasons of cheer a fall and a winter and some schools only have winter and their tryouts aren't until November.

None of the competitive college teams in my area are like that - from the JC to the Univ. level. Is the team you're trying to go to super traditional?

My baaaad, I thought we were in the college section. Especially since you're UKCheerdad and you mentioned UCA partner stunt. I could see high schools being strict about something like that, especially if it's a district rule.

Thats how we do it where I live. I can see that its somewhat unfair, especially if you didn't know you were moving to an area early enough to tryout for cheer. As a coach there have been a couple of times where its been a really talented girl I would love to have, but it is more hassle than its worth to let another kid come onto an already formed team. You get the whole unfair argument from the 50 other kids you cut. You may be able to meet with the coach and discuss having a private tryout to become an alternate, that way you still have a shot of being on the team. It would involve a meeting with the AD but I would consider giving a transfer student a shot at being an alternate. Most schools (at least around here) have all their tryout stuff set in January or February so if you even have a slight inkling you may move its best to get in touch with them and attend the parent meetings etc.

You can move to a new school district out of state and go out for the football team, chorus, band, Chess Team, Math Team, or any other team the school has....BUT if you miss cheerleading tryouts the spring semester before, you can not be on the cheerleading squad!

That's because on all of those teams do not cut people. In cheerleading only a certain amount make it. It would be extremely unfair to just add a girl to your team just because she was a UCA partner stunt National Champ. What if her motions/jumps are bad? Not saying they are just playing devils advocate.

But I agree with AScheer. A private tryout would be the best solution and even that is a bit unfair. Ever think of All Star? I'm sure we can find a gym or two that would love to have her or him.

I'm sure there are plenty of All-star teams that would snatch you up. If you are actually in Alabama, Ace of Alabama rules!

Our high school tryouts were last week. Middle school is this week. I can see why it's this early. They have to order uniforms and be in and ready to go before the first football game in late August. There really is no other time.

For marching band our high school band starts practicing the first of August and they have to audition for marching that week. If you miss even though you have been in the marching band before and you are not there to learn the drills, formations and music...... too bad. See ya next year.

I'm a band/cheer mom :)

In Baltimore County, we hold tryouts in August before the season starts, and then again in November for winter season and again in March if your school has a spring team. We also don't order individual uniforms, so that would not be a problem.

it's not like that in NH. We don't have spring tryouts. We have two seperate seasons of cheer a fall and a winter and some schools only have winter and their tryouts aren't until November.
i live in NH too so it's the same thing!!! i find it so weird how down south they have spring tryouts! i also find it weird that many other states have like 1 minute cheers, while in NH we have the like 10 second cheers hahah

We have tryouts early in the south because it takes longer to get stuff. They gotta raft it down the Mississippi. And our cheers are long because we have to repeat ourselves a lot if we want the crowd to follow along.

; )
Lol!!

I live in california and & all the schools around here have try outs in march, April, or may at the latest!

Back