Difference Between A Spike And Needle?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2011
Ok. So my friend recently told me that a needle is where your arms are straight but you don't quite have the flexibility to pull your leg straight and that a spike was were you had a straight leg and had your back touching your leg. But I was pretty sure that they are both the same or that it's the other way around. So cheer experts, PLEASE help.

if it's in any order, its the other way around. Personally, I think the terms needle and spike are interchangeable, but the correct terminology is:
A needle: Leg is completely straight, arms are grabbing somewhere on or below the ankle.
Spike: Leg is extremely close to being straight, with only a slight bend, arms are grabbing on or below the ankle .

A spike is a "straight leg scorpion". A needle is where the flyer leans down, with one leg in the air, holding the bases hands for support. They used to do needles a lot, but they sort of went out of style. Not sure how people started to call straight leg scorps needles, but on the west coast we pretty much call them spikes still.

I thought a needle is when your chest is down by your supporting leg and your other leg is sticking straight up in the air.

Edit: oops a few minutes too late.

I've heard needle as straight leg scorps from the east coast, but i notice people in the west say spikes. So, i guess same thing

I've heard needle as straight leg scorps from the east coast, but i notice people in the west say spikes. So, i guess same thing
I've pretty much heard the same thing. I always thought they were the same thing, but I could be wrong just as much as the next guy. lol

Needle:
needle.jpg

Spike:
spike_plant.jpg

:p

It's two different words for the exact same thing. Just like a backhandspring and a flip flop (omg I cringe even typing that) are both the same. It really just depends on where you are from, which term you use.

Back