Division 1/2 Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

rdavis4

Cheer Parent
Oct 12, 2015
Hi! I'm still pretty new to this all-star cheer world; this is my daughter's second year as a tiny and there's so much to learn! Does anyone have a definite answer to the division 1/2 split at competitions? We are the only division 1 gym in our city, and the owner mentioned once that at competitions we won't even compete against the other two gyms, since they are D2. Our first comp. is coming up, and we will most likely be the only (or possibly one of two) D1 gyms there. For smaller comps do they still compete together, or is the new rule that d1 and d2 do not compete at all?

Hopefully that question makes sense!

If there are not enough teams to split up, then it is up to the event producers to decide. I know Cheer Power in San Antonio, Tx had a comp. a few weeks ago. They did not split D1 & D2.

To my understanding its the EP's decision on whether or not to split the two divisions...most small competitions they won't split but at larger competitions they do split into D1 and D2. Correct me if I'm wrong though :)

USASF rules actually speak to this - it can be found near the end of the Age Grid document.

EPs can have a Div II only event. If it is open to either Div I or Div II, the EP MUST follow the rules to split for Small/Large first. Then ONLY if there are at least ten teams in either small or large can an EP split into DI/DII (and only in those groups that have at least ten teams in them.) So that means that the vast majority of competitions will not have splits based on DI/DII at all.

Back