High School Double Downs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 16, 2010
I'm working with a stunt group and they said they have a "double down from prep", but not from extension. Am I totally losing it, or isn't a double down easier from ext????

I feel like it shouldn't be. You've got all that extra time from the height of extension. But maybe it has something to do with going from prep gives you more power. All the teams I've worked with have either had full team doubles from extension and prep, or they were no where close to getting doubles, so I've never had to work with this!

I feel like it shouldn't be. You've got all that extra time from the height of extension. But maybe it has something to do with going from prep gives you more power. All the teams I've worked with have either had full team doubles from extension and prep, or they were no where close to getting doubles, so I've never had to work with this!

You get less of a pop from extension, you're trying to make it around twice on the down rather than on the up. I've never doubled from an extension - never even attempted.

Yea, it's easier from a prep. I feel it's easier to throw and catch from a prep. For an extension, you have to have a ridiculous pop from both bases. Prep levels are a lot easier to throw higher. Also, a lot of flyers tend to not even let the pop happen from extensions and just pull the double right out of the bases hands.

imo prep doubles are way easier.i think bases give more of a pop from preps so they get high enough for a double where in extensions they don't feel the need to give her a good pop because they are already up high.

I feel extension doubles require a tighter body position and better form from the flyer, and of course need a strong pop with good synchronization from the bases. A little trick....the right base (left if you are standing in front of the group) can turn the right hand in on the grip (leave the left hand on the heel, and the right hand almost in coed grip) immediately before the pop, and help initial the twist with the flick of their wrist as they finish the pop. This little trick will take groups who are close to doubling from extension, to nailing it!

Side note....make sure your flyer understands the correct hollow body position, and to wrap through their hips, not shoulders! Hope this helps!

prep for sure...easier to set the flier to set/pull so they are doubling in the air and not of of their bases hands...hope this explains

Basic physics for the day! Woo. (Just finished the mechanics section of AP Physics and it's really taking over my brain...)

From a prep, the flyer is popped up to extension level. That gives them the time traveling upward AND downward to complete their rotations, whereas than an extension pretty much only allows the time traveling downward to spin. The former would be easier. Plus other stuff about requiring a smaller force to pop higher from a prep than an extension (think of the arms and legs as a spring)...yada yada yada. Good 'ole gravity. Who woulda thunk it.

...Seriously. This stuff is taking over my life.

my cp has never been able to do a double from extension. She says prep level gives her more time in the air and she can feel the pop before she squares off and starts her spin. She's tried, just never been able to do it.

I thinnk they are so much easier from prep level than extension. I've done them from both and the extension took a lot more effort than the prep double down did.

Preps are definitely alot higher, my team started in preps earlier in the season and now we do extensions.. we had to take almost a whole extra practice to master them - not even master.. just to do them

if you are going to do it from extension make SURE that it is a 2-count pop. it gives at least more time for the flyer to know when to pull up and most often results in a higher toss.

Back