Double Teaming Or Staying On 1 Squad

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Does she love going to the gym? Wants to be there every night? Takes every tumbling class available? Double teaming might be for her.

Does she gripe and whine about going to open gym? Doesn't want to be at the gym except for practices? Double teaming probably isn't a good idea.

I have a love/hate relationship with crossovers. I love that a kid can fly on one team and base on another, making her a well rounded athlete and preparing her for anything she may be asked to do. I hate that sometimes the kids come off the competition floor and go right back into warmups, leading to some craziness.

Does she love going to the gym? Wants to be there every night? Takes every tumbling class available? Double teaming might be for her.

Does she gripe and whine about going to open gym? Doesn't want to be at the gym except for practices? Double teaming probably isn't a good idea.

I have a love/hate relationship with crossovers. I love that a kid can fly on one team and base on another, making her a well rounded athlete and preparing her for anything she may be asked to do. I hate that sometimes the kids come off the competition floor and go right back into warmups, leading to some craziness.
My cp is definitely not a gym rat but thrived this past season with double teaming. She was at the gym 4 nights for practices plus one tumbling class and often took a private on the weekend, but rarely went to an open gym. She felt more involved with her gym (it was only her second season there), loved being able to compete at least twice at each competition, and felt she got into shape faster and advanced her skills more quickly since she had more opportunities for practice and repetition of skills. She definitely liked one team more than the other, but that was a good life lesson for her as well. Even though dh was dead set against it, even he agreed it was a great experience for her and has no problem with her doing it again this season. As long as she keeps her grades up and gets all her work done on time that is!

Why would it have to be a long-term committment to double teaming? I know our athletes are asked each year if they would like to be on more than one team prior to tryouts. If they say no, then they are just put on one.

Like I said, 'if she prefers' meaning the child, not the gym. If you do it this one time, will the cheerleader want to do it from this point on...if the answer might be yes, is that okay with you?

Like I said, 'if she prefers' meaning the child, not the gym. If you do it this one time, will the cheerleader want to do it from this point on...if the answer might be yes, is that okay with you?
I still think it is a year-by-year and not long-term committment. Even if it is something my cp wants to do, that does not mean she is going to get to do it, especially if double-teaming interferred with school or other activities important to our family. My former-cp double teamed for 2 seasons before we pulled the plug on it, mainly because it meant having practices on both Saturdays and Sundays.

@cheerf5 i think you can double team im pretty sure that if your on two teams and they both make worlds you are able to preform for both teams. that had happen to my cousin before and she was able to preform with both

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

@cheerf5 i think you can double team im pretty sure that if your on two teams and they both make worlds you are able to preform for both teams. that had happen to my cousin before and she was able to preform with both

No, there are no crossovers allowed at worlds. Unless it was before 2007, that's when the rule started. If crossovers were allowed, nothing would prevent gyms from stacking teams in multiple divisions with all the best athletes.

No, there are no crossovers allowed at worlds. Unless it was before 2007, that's when the rule started. If crossovers were allowed, nothing would prevent gyms from stacking teams in multiple divisions with all the best athletes.

This is going to sound stupid but when junior division was at worlds could you be on a junior and senior team at worlds? If that make sense.

I was a crossover for many years. the only time it ever got really difficult was at comps when the two teams warmups/competition time conflicted. many times i was unable to warm up stunts with one team because i was competing with the other.

Back