All-Star Drinking Pictures On Fb?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's in our handbook that posting in social media should always cast our members in a positive light. That being said, I would have to evaluate the situation before I asked them to leave the gym. It would probably have to be a regular occurrence or garnered a LOT of negative attention for me to remove them from the squad. I have spoken to kids about their language on fbk and posting "sexy" pictures. Other than that I haven't had problems with kids posting pics showing them doing anything illegal.
My biggest problem is with other coaches that drink with their athletes and the parents that condone it. It's all done quite out in the open and I think it's shameful.

It's the gym's business when Susie comes to practice or a comp hungover or high.
It's also the business of whoever she's basing. The safety issue here is enormous. I can't personally imagine having my cp up there flying and doing the dangerous stuff that is done while her base is hungover or high. She's on a youth team right now, so this isn't so much of an issue for us right now, but I can see how it could happen on older teams. I know that our gym has a pretty strict policy regarding this and I for one am really glad!!!

Drinking under the age of 21 is ILLEGAL, doing drugs at any age is ILLEGAL..... I believe most gym policy's include that if anyone is caught doing anything illegal there are consequences, you know like when you are caught by the nice police officer when he halls you butt off...I really don't think they care to hear oh I am a teenager and I am experimating.

Actually depending on what state you live in, you can consume alcohol under the age of 21 under these circumstances:
On Private Property that doesn't sell alcohol with Parental Consent
On Private Property that doesnt sell alcohol without Parental Consent
For Religous Purposes
Medical Purposes
Work Related
On Alcohol selling premises with Parental Consent

Read if your state allows it: 40 States That Allow Underage (under 21) Alcohol Consumption - Drinking Age - ProCon.org

So I find it ridiculous that a gym owner or coach would kick a girl off the team for having photos of drinking. For all you know she could be drinking under one of the above circumstances

Actually depending on what state you live in, you can consume alcohol under the age of 21 under these circumstances:
For Religous Purposes
Medical Purposes
Work Related

Read if your state allows it: 40 States That Allow Underage (under 21) Alcohol Consumption - Drinking Age - ProCon.org

So I find it ridiculous that a gym owner or coach would kick a girl off the team for having photos of drinking. For all you know she could be drinking under one of the above circumstances
What job requires people under 21 to drink? :confused:

Sooo you don't want coaches policing your facebook because they aren't your parents, but you insist that the proper response to something illegal (assuming the pictures are of a girl at a HS party and not at a place like a wedding where there might be alcohol but it's legal), would be to essentially, via actions taken, parent them? Or let it go (which is technically also illegal)? Am I the only one baffled by this? :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I coach HS girls. I have a brother in HS. The morning my mother found out my bro's little tent sleepover in my backyard with 6 of his friends had them so drunk they were puking half the night....Needless to say he hasn't done it since. I'd want to HELP them realize what they're doing before I banned them from everything. But you're walking a fine line with how some of you expect people to handle this situation..I'm friends with some of my girls on facebook, and it's not my season so I'm not their coach. But then again, most of my girls play sports year-round, and most of their other coaches would have an absolute FIELD DAY if any of them got caught and then kicked off for being at a party with alcohol.

I really don't think the focus of this discussion is that gyms or coaches will stop kids from having their fun and making their mistakes.

When the cops stop by your party and ask if anyone has been drinking or doing anything illegal, don't show him/her the picture on your phone of what you and your buddies were doing before he/she got there and you probably won't get any more questions

I really don't think the focus of this discussion is that gyms or coaches will stop kids from having their fun and making their mistakes.

When the cops stop by your party and ask if anyone has been drinking or doing anything illegal, don't show him/her the picture on your phone of what you and your buddies were doing before he/she got there and you probably won't get any more questions
Exactly, The cops stopped by a party I was at, I was not drinking, but they asked if everyone was legal. One person said yes, they didn't even ask for ID they just told us to go inside and be quieter. Needless to say I left because I was not about to get in trouble even though I wasn't even drinking. They came back later and just told everyone to leave. There was several underage but they didn't ask anyone for ID because there was just to many people.

For Religous Purposes
Medical Purposes
Work Related

Well, Alabama don't play.

Turns out I can have a house party as long as my parents say its ok. So whats the point of the drinking age being 21?

You can't actually buy the drinks.

I am willing to bet some/most of these states don't follow that law. What are they going to do wait and have you call your parents to get permission before they arrest for you for underage drinking?

But if I have my parents permission whats the difference?

You have parents permission in a private place (depending on the state). You can't purchase it, or drink in a public place or an establishment that sells it.

You have parents permission in a private place (depending on the state). You can't purchase it, or drink in a public place or an establishment that sells it.
oh yess you can.. many colleges have bars where you only have to be 19 to get into, you can drink there freely and the employees can care less.

Back