Driving To Cheerleading Practice 2 Hours Away...?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2012
Hi:) Anyways I am switching gyms this year, my cheer team does not have a Senior 2 team, and that is the skill level I am on this year:) Well, I want to cheer for my FAVORITE team of all time, it has been my dream to cheer for them for such a long time, but the new gym is 1 hr and 57 minutes away. I can drive straight from school to cheer practice, and I told my mom I am willing to pay gas money, but my mom is still not convinced . She doesn't really understand, but the only other teams around my area are not good gyms and don't place too well at competitions. How can I convince my mom to let me cheer for this team? Sorry this is so long. :)

Wow that is a long drive! How many days a week would the team practice? If it is the same level what is the main advantage you think you will gain by going to a different gym? Maybe write a pros and cons list - I find that always helps me decide :)

Wow that is a long drive! How many days a week would the team practice? If it is the same level what is the main advantage you think you will gain by going to a different gym? Maybe write a pros and cons list - I find that always helps me decide :)
Thank you, they practice 3x a week, and that's a good idea. Thank you :)

I'm on senior 2 as well - and I WISH my team practiced that many times a week :D That will be a LOT of gas money over the year, especially if there are extra practices near comp time. Good luck - I hope the pros and cons list helps... it always helps me make big decisions :)

I used to drive 2.5-3 hours twice a week to celebrity for 2 years. Tw drive wasn't really bad and I got used to it pretty fast. It was easier for me because my mom was driving me then but I still drive 2 hours to the ct gym once a week to dance and coach my teams and it's not bad. One summer I actually drove 4 hours one way to the ct gym because I was on the open team there and not in nh. And even that wasn't terrible. If its your dream I say go for it! I'm sure it will be well worth it! I'm still with ECE now, and next year will be my 7th season with them and I've had so many opportunities come from joining celebrity I wouldn't give up those hours in the car for anything!!!

For two years, I drove 2 hours to practice and 2 hours home, 4-5 times a week. But, it was what worked for me and was the best experience I could have ever asked for.
Once you do it a few times, the drive becomes nothing... I knew that route like the back of my hand, and I knew where I needed to be at exactly what time unless I wanted to be late. It made me appreciate music, and I got really close to lots of friends... They all knew that from 9:30-11:30pm I would be driving, and would call to keep me company. If it's the gym you want to be at and the people you want to work with, you can make it work!

Wow! I understand your mom's hesitation. I would not have wanted my teenage daughter on the road by herself for 12 hours every week. (We mom's worry A LOT!) Is carpooling an option? My CP had a girl on her team the last two years that came from 2 hours away (practiced normally twice a week). She joined a carpool that met about an hour away, which cut her mom's driving significantly. I would suggest calling the gym and trying to find out if carpooling is a possibility.

It was actually my moms idea to bring me to celebrity. Haha I didn't have a choice unless I don't want to do all stars anymore. I did homework in the car and got done what I could in school. I gess that wouldn't work if you get car sick but I've never had that problem so it worked out well.

I drive to Cali 3 times a week 2 hours each way....I think you should find a commute buddy...is there anyone else who wants to cheer at your favorite gym...I know our commute works better when we can share the load...and if you have another driver...you could trade off...one driving...one doing homework..each way...:) My kids do their school work in the quiet car....everyone has almost all A's...so it is possible...and cheer for a great gym is PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

It was actually my moms idea to bring me to celebrity. Haha I didn't have a choice unless I don't want to do all stars anymore. I did homework in the car and got done what I could in school. I gess that wouldn't work if you get car sick but I've never had that problem so it worked out well.
That works if you aren't doing the actual driving but it sounds like the OP is going to actually drive herself. A commute buddy would work, though.

Ok the mom in me has to ask--- if you're on the road 4 hours and practice is probably 2 hours, when are you going to do homework?

This sounds ridiculous, but I had a 4.0 both junior and senior year because I knew that if I slipped, it would give my mom a reason to stop letting me do it. My team was a lot of money and a lot of travel, and I knew I had to keep myself in order if my mom was making that big of a sacrifice.

My schedule looked something like this most of the week:
School: 7:30-3:30
School Practice: 3:30-5 (I was captain of my high school team also)
Drive: 5-7
Practice: 7-9:30
Drive: 9:30-11:30

I was a TA for 7th period and used it to get my homework done, and often times used lunch to do work. I was very careful about using my free, non cheer nights to get ahead and do homework I knew about, and school did come fairly easy to me. However, I think it can be done. I was responsible and organized, and it really helped prepare me for college.
If you want to do it, you will make it work. I think it was the best decision I ever made for myself, and those people are still my best friends and favorite memories.

Yeah if you could get someone to maybe join with you and you guys could carpool and then every other time you could switch driving and keep eachother company and do hw when you weren't driving.

Latest posts

Back