Emergency Back Handspring Help Needed!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 12, 2012
Okay so recently (last week) i learnt how to do a back handspring without a spotter.
But now i got my friend to video it and i realized that when i jump backwards i jump sideways, so not in a straight line back. Its not that i'm looking over my shoulder is just as i jump, my body moves to the side. Anybody know how to help me improve this? I have 10 weeks till next try-outs and i need to have a perfect front/back handspring and I'm only halfway there :(
Much appreciated if you can tell me in full detail what is really happening and how i can fix it??
Cheers!!!

This happened to me in gymnastics when i first started tumbling. I had down all my mechanics, but for some reason, my back tumbling seemed to go slightly crooked. I couldn't tell why, it just did. It can come from a number of reasons.

I'm going to assume you're referring to a standing back handspring. If not, it could be the result of a poor, or offbalanced round off.

Also, it could be, (and i doubt it, but it's happened), that one of your legs is signifigantly stronger than the other. I play soccer, so my kicking leg, has always been stronger.

Or, it could just be a matter of you not applying equal pressure to the ground when executing the jump.

It's not a major flaw, but it could be the difference between perfection and injury.

Nick:)

I am going to start by saying how dangerous it is to teach yourself how to do a backhandspring. This is a serious skill which could result in major injuries, including those to the head if executed improperly.

Now that I have had my mummy rant, you need to go back to the drills and make sure your backwards skills are straight throughout the progressions. Start with back rolls with straight arms (fingertips turned in) and then progress to jump back drills (doing your set and jumping back onto a crash mat) and then a spotted set to handstand off the double mini (If you can get into the gym with a spotter), if not do this on the trampoline.

If you can straighten out your skill through the drills it should translate onto the floor. Also conditioning and shoulder flexibility work are a must.

Good luck!

It might be that you are getting one of your arms up slightly faster than the other. Also make sure your feet are straight facing the front and your hips are correctly aligned. I did lessons with a girl who would turn her right foot out just a hair and it made her go crooked

I had a few girls on my team that went a little to the side because they weren't equally flexible in both shoulders. So when they swung their arms one went further and made the back handspring crooked. Ask someone to take a look while you keep your arms straight and pull them as far back as you can, maybe you're a little uneven there.

Don't worry I learnt this in a proper gym (wouldn't have the skill to teach myself) :)
so I've tried the progression styles and drill and ive also tried following my fingers as I go back and it helped alot but not completely, now as I jump back Its only roughly 30 cm from my starting point. but no matter how hard I try these skills can't perfect it :(
thanks so much people you've been such a great help with my struggles :D

Back