All-Star End Of Season Awards For Team Members

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm a rookie at this....so sorry if this is a dumb question.....but....

What's a paper plate award? :confused:
Our captains made paper plate with the categories on them, and everyone got one. It was basically the categories listed here, with some dumb stuff thrown in like Team Hairstylist for the girl who would help with everyones hair before competitions, or Team Loudmouth for the girl who would always talk a lot or yelled cheers the loudest. We gave them out at our end of the year Christmas Party. Basically just a fun little informal award session just for the team =)

best motions
team Comedian (like best sense of humor/funniest)
most supportive

The only award I ever remember getting from my youth years was most likely to have my shoes untied and just because it was so personal and funny I have remembered that award for all this time. Funny awards are great as long as it's not embarrassing to the child so beware. Me having my shoes untied wasn't embarrassing so to me it was just a moment that I got to stand up and get a certificate which at that age being recognized for anything was amazing.

I always do my team's awards like this!!! My bosses and the other coaches give me heck for it, but I truely believe it makes it so much more personal and will mean so much more to the athletes!!! Thanks for posting this. :D

My team always did funnier, more personal awards. My coaches gave a little speech/background information as to why we were receiving the award, and each girl got called up for a picture with her award.

For example, my senior year I got "The Dancing Queen" award and got a pink sparkly tiara. Hearing my coaches explain why I got the award I did, and getting a little gift meant so much more than just "Best _________". Personally, I think those awards can sometimes end up as a popularity contest :confused:

Personal awards are also AWESOME because they really show how much your coaches care and take notice to every single athlete. I know athletes can maybe feel overshadowed on teams at times, and it stinks to feel "unimportant" so to say, so having those few minutes to shine amongst your team and families is really awesome.

I'd highly recommend doing something like that for your team.

At the end of the year banquet all the team members get medals with the gym name on them. Then just a few awards are given- an individual small trophy. They is most improved, MVP, coaches award, and leadership award. Of all the medals and trophies over the years of cheer, My cp is probably most proud of her MVP award because there are always such amazing kids on the teams who all work so hard...that, and the Summit banner lol

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

At World Cup awards night, there are awards for each team: best base, best back, best flyer, best dancer, most improved, best tumbler, best jumps and MVP. There's also a "straight A club" for athletes who recieved straight a's, best tumbler from the whole gym and MVP/overall for the whole gym. Seniors also get called one by one with the college they're going to and they get alumni shirts. I love the way it works!

I probably will have an unpopular opinion but... I definitely see the value in giving every kid a participation trophy - each one participated in making the team have a successful, fun season, and they all deserve to be recognized for helping the team. When it comes to individual, "best" awards, well... that's a whole different issue. Yes, each child has made an important contribution to the team. However, if you have to come here to get ideas of awards to issue, I would argue that these awards aren't really... personal or important. Generic awards are transparently generic - the kid who gets the "best cheer curls" award (just throwing a crazy idea out there because you need ten more, lol) is going to know that you were reeeeeeeally stretching to get that last idea for a best award, you know? I'm not sure if I'm being clear.

Here's my suggestion - have each kid write down the three things they are most proud of about themselves, three things they liked best about the season, and three things they look forward to doing next year (always want to have a reason for your customers to return!) Use those as a guide when giving out awards. The kid that you (or the coach) thinks has "Highest Jumps" may actually be most proud of finally getting a particular skill in tumbling this year, and the kid who has just so-so jumps may be really proud about finally learning to rotate her hips in toe touches. When Suzie is awarded her trophy, it won't be for "Highest Jumps," but rather, the coach will say "Suzie really improved her toe touches this year, and had a great time at the competition where she performed her back handspring for the first time. I look forward to next year, where she will work on achieving her tuck!" It will take more time to do awards this way, but I really think it would be much more meaningful to the kids and it will highlight everyone's contributions rather than foster jealousy (because there is *always* a kid who thinks she has higher jumps or a better smile or is a better back spot, you know?)

Just to follow this idea - one year my coaches had "awards" that was very fun and personal! I, for example, got "the team's analyzer" just because well i overthink everything. It was so fun hearing everyone's, so i really think you should do something like that :)

Back