OT English/american English Differences

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 26, 2011
Just for a bit of fun and 'help' to our International visitors when they come over to JAMfest Europe, I thought I'd start a thread on word differences, we started to talk about in the event thread. Although I've been told that the Scouse (Liverpuddlian) accent is hard to understand, but then again mine may be also LO!

So here goes:

Brollie - Umbrella
Wellies - Wellington Boots
Chips - Fries
Crisps - Chips
Lift - Elevator

At least everything cheer related is the same :D

continue below :)

Just for a bit of fun and 'help' to our International visitors when they come over to JAMfest Europe, I thought I'd start a thread on word differences, we started to talk about in the event thread. Although I've been told that the Scouse (Liverpuddlian) accent is hard to understand, but then again mine may be also LO!

So here goes:

Brollie - Umbrella
Wellies - Wellington Boots Rainboots
Chips - Fries
Crisps - Chips
Lift - Elevator

At least everything cheer related is the same :D

continue below :)

Do you call spankies something different since underwear are knickers over in England?

My cousins in England always make fun of us when we call "trousers" "pants.". Guess pants means underpants. :)

there is loads!
trashcan - bin
garbage-rubbish
we say the time different im sure like we would say quarter past and american would say quarter after
side walk - pavement
trunk - boot
sneakers - trainers ( like casual ones)
tennis shoes - white sporty trainers

cant think of any others right now

One of my best friends is a Brit, she is visiting in a few weeks, so I will probably be able to add to the list after spending some time with her, but here are a few that came to mind :)

can - tin
cookie - biscuit
flashlight - torch
dessert - pudding
vacation - holiday
hoover - vacuum

One of my best friends is a Brit, she is visiting in a few weeks, so I will probably be able to add to the list after spending some time with her, but here are a few that came to mind :)

dessert - pudding
hoover - vacuum
We say dessert and hoover too :)

I reversed the order of hoover - vacuum! We don't say hoover (at least not in the mid-atlantic area).

I know you also use the word dessert, but when someone offers me pudding, I think they are offering me a Jello product, not a wide variety of desserts!

When my friend first moved here (she was here for 3 years), we had many funny misunderstandings. One of the best was when her 6 yr old ran home to get his "torch", my 4 yr old was pretty impressed until his buddy showed back up with just a plain old flashlight!

there is loads!
trashcan - bin
garbage-rubbish
we say the time different im sure like we would say quarter past and american would say quarter after
side walk - pavement
trunk - boot
sneakers - trainers ( like casual ones)
tennis shoes - white sporty trainers

cant think of any others right now

are trainers like tennis shoes (running shoes) or like cute tennis shoes... like coach tennis shoes or converse allstars?

I think hoover is the brand!?! So I've been told by my sister every time I say hoover :rolleyes:

I also started thinking of different food's

Jam = Jelly and Jelly=Jello

They should make sure they have Yorkshire pudding's or the lancashire hotpot when they are here (I think Liverpool is in/near Lancashire.maybe,possibly,not :L ), a pasty and fish 'n' chips

are trainers like tennis shoes (running shoes) or like cute tennis shoes... like coach tennis shoes or converse allstars?
All of them are called trainers but really famous brand shoes are just known by their brand name e.g. Converse

Back