OT English/american English Differences

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
They should make sure they have Yorkshire pudding's or the lancashire hotpot when they are here (I think Liverpool is in/near Lancashire.maybe,possibly,not :L ), a pasty and fish 'n' chips
We call it 'Scouse' in Liverpool, it's where we took the name Scousers from ;) . mmmMMMmmm my mouth is salivating rought now, I could go a lovely hot pan of scouse. A lot of pub restaurants in the city sell it so be sure to try it out. The other one is to have traditional fish and chips from a 'chippy', The BEST chippy in the WHOLE of Liverpool is called The Lobster Pot and is opposite Central Train Station. Or cross to the Wirral and go to Parkgate where you can have your fish and chips on the sea front and then enjoy the best ice cream EVER ;)

Oh yeah, please stay away from any 'Fanny' references, I even feel funny typing the word, it's not a good word to use here.

We call it 'Scouse' in Liverpool, it's where we took the name Scousers from ;) . mmmMMMmmm my mouth is salivating rought now, I could go a lovely hot pan of scouse. A lot of pub restaurants in the city sell it so be sure to try it out. The other one is to have traditional fish and chips from a 'chippy', The BEST chippy in the WHOLE of Liverpool is called The Lobster Pot and is opposite Central Train Station. Or cross to the Wirral and go to Parkgate where you can have your fish and chips on the sea front and then enjoy the best ice cream EVER ;)

Oh yeah, please stay away from any 'Fanny' references, I even feel funny typing the word, it's not a good word to use here.

Aww I could just do with some fish n chips right now, although I only had them yesterday or a nice yummy pasty mmmmm or roast dinner :L

Now thinking about it, I think they call a bum-bag a fanny-pack (trying to control the childist giggles as I type fanny), now I know why if fanny is a word for bum, not what it means to us!

To add to these:
petrol - gas
aeroplane - airplane
maths - math
pavement - sidewalk
mobile phone - cellphone
rubbish - garbage
Maccy D's - Mickey D's (McDonald's, I think I've seen a few Americans call it Mickey D's not too sure why though?! :) :p )

That's all I can think of right now :) Must be confusing going to America and asking for a cookie and being given a biscuit not the British style of cookie :rolleyes:.

now i wanna know what fanny is in the UK..
and also Tamzin not sure if you were joking haha, but its Mickey D's to us because we pronounce McDonalds Mick-Don-alds , not Mac

now i wanna know what fanny is in the UK..
and also Tamzin not sure if you were joking haha, but its Mickey D's to us because we pronounce McDonalds Mick-Don-alds , not Mac

A fanny is erm ... a woman's lady-part :oops:.
I was serious about the McDonald's thing, I never realised you guys pronounced it Mick instead of Mack :p

is it right that you call a motorway a freeway?

Also, you'll probably notice how much smaller our roads are in general compared to US ones.

is it right that you call a motorway a freeway?

Also, you'll probably notice how much smaller our roads are in general compared to US ones.
A freeway to us would be like a highway. When I think of motorway, I think of a racecar track!

Anyone else remember reading Enid Blyton's The Magic Faraway Tree and giggling at richard* and Fanny? Why oh why did she chose those names?!

*and by Richard I mean the sporting good's store that Fierceboard censors.

This is a little off color, but ........ My college women's chorus toured England my senior year (what a wonderful experience). We were given a short course in some common slang and the one that amused a bunch of college age girls the most was "knock up". Over here, it means to get someone pregnant, across the pond it means "to awaken" as in to call or knock on the door to wake you up. We stayed in people's houses on tour, so if our host offered to knock us up in the morning there was no need to get worried. ;).

Rabbit hole: one of the things which struck me the most was the age/ history over there. Our first host family was solidly middle class, a young couple with two small girls. However, their home was older than this country. It had once been a blacksmith's home and the outbuilding they used as their garage had housed his forge.

I remember once saying to my friend's son, that I was going to "give his mom a call" and he replied "why don't you just ring her up" LOL I guess he thought I was going to open up the door and yell across the street :)

This is a little off color, but ........ My college women's chorus toured England my senior year (what a wonderful experience). We were given a short course in some common slang and the one that amused a bunch of college age girls the most was "knock up". Over here, it means to get someone pregnant, across the pond it means "to awaken" as in to call or knock on the door to wake you up. We stayed in people's houses on tour, so if our host offered to knock us up in the morning there was no need to get worried. ;).

Rabbit hole: one of the things which struck me the most was the age/ history over there. Our first host family was solidly middle class, a young couple with two small girls. However, their home was older than this country. It had once been a blacksmith's home and the outbuilding they used as their garage had housed his forge.

I haven't heard of 'knock-up' before........Maybe it's a regional thing!?!
I guess living over here, we often take for granted how much history/heritage we have and such diversity for a rather small island(s)

I watch some of the english beauty gurus on youtube and my favorite is when they buy a sweater and say "I bought this jumper from Top Shop". 1. the term jumper used for sweater just makes me laugh and 2. They make me want to shop at Top Shop and Boots. I actually called a sweater a jumper the other day and my friend gave me this weird look.

More off color: Rubbers are rain boots across the pond, right? Here, they're condoms. So, when it rains, you need your rubbers. Umm...

Latest posts

Back