OT English/american English Differences

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I think it is but because the brand is so popular the name stuck for all vacuum cleaner brands?
Most likely! :)

I just looked at the links you had on your other post (the spellings. Looking at them I think I often spell things the American way (or my auto correct, corrects them that way) LOL

Like how people call tissues Klenex, even if they aren't Klenex brand....or bandages Band-Aids, no matter the brand.

Omgosh thats another one....Band-Aids isn't that a plaster? or do you called a plaster a plaster?

Over here plaster goes on your walls, bandages (or band-aids) go on your boo-boo :D

Plaster also goes on the wall over here too as well as e.g. your hand.......

Another funny one is rubber vs. eraser. :oops:
Oh yea, ahaha that could be awkward :L

No wonder English is a hard language for non English speaking people to learn. I'm getting so confused with all our different words, or words that are pronounced the same but mean multipule things :confused:

My favorites from when I visited London:
Line- Que
Overpass - Flyover
Television- Telly
Eggplant -Aubergine

Also, when I was in one of the London parks buying ice cream they asked whether I wanted it "with stick or without". I was very confused until I was told that it was a stick of chocolate.....haha

Chips v. crisps and dates confuse the CRAP out of me.

Take today's date for example: 2/11/12
In the US it's February 11th... But in the UK it's November 2nd!?

Other favorites that I've somehow adopted despite my lack of interaction with anyone from across the pond: trainers, rubber (super awkward when that slips out), wellies, lift, advert (commercials/ads), fringe (bangs), full stop (period), pissed (drunk), daft, telly, jumper (sweater), roundabout (rotary), and holiday (vacation).

Chips v. crisps and dates confuse the CRAP out of me.

Take today's date for example: 2/11/12
In the US it's February 11th... But in the UK it's November 2nd!?

Other favorites that I've somehow adopted despite my lack of interaction with anyone from across the pond: trainers, rubber (super awkward when that slips out), wellies, lift, advert (commercials/ads), fringe (bangs), full stop (period), pissed (drunk), daft, telly, jumper (sweater), roundabout (rotary), and holiday (vacation).

Yup, to us that date is 2nd November, you've time travelled lol! although in about 2.5 hours 12/2/12 or the 2nd December lol

Another one 'I'm off to the loo' Loo = toilet. I dont know if loo is used widely or not. :)

Back