All-Star Espn Worlds Coverage Dissapointment

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

we knew who would make ESPN and who wouldnt AT worlds. during the routine if they used the angle cameras it showed how it would be showed on tv on the screens next to the floor. if you watched the screen during all of large coed and medium coed, and i believe small coed, they didnt even use the camera. it was just the straight shot view. it wasnt about how well someone did, they had it planned from the beginning.

Am I the only one who liked the show? I think they picked good divisions to show. I'm really impressed by all the IOC6 teams, and small senior and large senior really were the most exciting divisions at Worlds!

Cheerleading has been on espn at least since I was in middle school (1985-ish). So no, 28 years later, cheerleading "even being on tv" is not enough to make me happy at this point. :rolleyes:

Ikr....poker is on all the dang time! Really?!!! I think they can give cheer a few more hours.

With the money they make, from at large bids, insane ticket costs, and the like, they should have a 2 hour broadcast and show highlights if top 10 and then top 3. Cut out the crap, and show cheerleading. Gymnastics, Worlds and Nationals is 2 hours. Figure Skating is 2 hours. Football is 9,365 million hours. Why can we not spend a LITTLE more in the marketing of our sport, and show a measly 2 hours. Shoot how about 2 for coed and 2 for All girl. lets finally put our sport up there with Tennis and Basketball and Football and all the rest and SHOW SOME COVERAGE!!!! Shoot GOLF gets more coverage! Forget the politics and BS surrounding why and how it cant be done. If you want to grow our sport and make it a household thing, spend money doing things that will actually help do that.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Am I the only one who liked the show? I think they picked good divisions to show. I'm really impressed by all the IOC6 teams, and small senior and large senior really were the most exciting divisions at Worlds!
Me too! I was really impressed with the IOC6 team from Colombia! Their stunts and pyramid were really good.

With the money they make, from at large bids, insane ticket costs, and the like, they should have a 2 hour broadcast and show highlights if top 10 and then top 3. Cut out the crap, and show cheerleading. Gymnastics, Worlds and Nationals is 2 hours. Figure Skating is 2 hours. Football is 9,365 million hours. Why can we not spend a LITTLE more in the marketing of our sport, and show a measly 2 hours. Shoot how about 2 for coed and 2 for All girl. lets finally put our sport up there with Tennis and Basketball and Football and all the rest and SHOW SOME COVERAGE!!!! Shoot GOLF gets more coverage! Forget the politics and BS surrounding why and how it cant be done. If you want to grow our sport and make it a household thing, spend money doing things that will actually help do that.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
First off, I'd love for their to be more complete coverage just like anybody else. But the reality of it is why should they? Why spend a ton of money on a small fanbase, when that money could be better spent lining pockets? I would guess that if they could track accurate demographics, the majority of those watching cheer broadcasts are ppl already involved in cheer. They already have their money, so why spend more money for the small handful of people who might actually gain interest in the sport just from watching it?

Does that still mean they could market it a little better? Of course. But you can't compare it to the other sports mentioned. For one, they are historically more mainstream. Another, all of those, even the team sports gain mass appeal because fans identify with individual athletes. Since the idea of cheerlebrities is such a polarizing issue, marketing with that approach becomes very difficult.

I've forgotten over the years, do people go to Worlds to be on TV?

People asking for more coverage forget how TV coverage is bought and paid for: by people who sponsor based on the fan base of the channel at that time block.

Think the cheer world can raise more money? Heck it's taken forever to get athletes and gyms to become members so we can pay for things like athlete registration.

The Shark version of the Fierce Board app

No, I actually mean SHOW THE TOP THREE IN EVERY DIVISION. If you aren't apart of that, sorry not sorry you're not on ESPN whoever you are and whatever your team is.

Showing the top three this year in every division including international divisions would've shown diversity.
Didn't they used to do that?!

Do you realise how hard it is for a non-usa team to get to worlds? We dont have 100 competitions every year where you can get a bid to go. Often IT's just One competition where you need to give all you got and then only 1 team get's the bid. Especially with so many countries forming national teams to compete at icu, it's very hard for allstar teams to go to worlds, so i really believe they earn to be in the spotlight too!
I completely understand how hard it is. I traveled internationally and worked with a team that received a globe in an open division. I respect and appreciate the growth internationally. I see that there is a significant amount of the ICU coverage. I have an issue with people crossing over from ICU to USASF teams (but that is a whole different thread). For REAL cheerleading I feel that divs sm, med, lrg all-girl and coed should be highlighted because they are the most competitive. ICU coverage did an AMAZING job showing the growth of international participation and growth. I feel the other coverage should highlight the other div's. The BEST cheerleading is in sm, med, lrg AG and Coed (arguably IOC 5 as well and Stealth). I personally want to see the BEST cheerleading.

I have a radical view on this whole topic.

Don't have a TV show.

Take the money (hundreds of thousands, I presume) that you WOULD have spent on production and airtime and do something more useful with it. Scholarships, coaches education, gym owner training, etc. My personal favorite - make it less expensive to go to Worlds.

Put together a highlight video and put it on YouTube, along with links to FREE videos of each routine. Make it available online and let social media go to town with it. I would guess that you could get volunteers to put the whole thing together for them and it would BLOW AWAY the quality of the televised show and probably be a much more effective marketing tool.

Traditional broadcast TV just seems like an antiquated way to try to promote the sport. It seems like the reason they keep doing it is just because that is what they have always done, rather than actually doing a serious cost/benefit analysis and trying to do the most efficient, most effective way to promote the sport.

as someone mentioned before, it was preplanned. if you paid attention, you knew which divisions would be on tv. Also, if im not mistaken it is drawn at random is it not? large senior was shown this year, but not last. I could be wrong, but i do remember seeing that somewhere. Cheerupdates tweeted at worlds that large coed was not being filmed. Does it suck that not all divisions were shown? yes, but im unsure why everyone is surprised. Maybe it would be a good idea to email/write a letter to varsity and ask for a different structure next year?

Put together a highlight video and put it on YouTube, along with links to FREE videos of each routine. Make it available online and let social media go to town with it. I would guess that you could get volunteers to put the whole thing together for them and it would BLOW AWAY the quality of the televised show and probably be a much more effective marketing tool.
I suppose this would all be figured into their cost/benefit analysis. I have no idea how much they make off of DVD sales and live streams. But the videos must be a reasonably valuable commodity based on the policing they do on YT. I could never imagine any model that they would ever give them away for free.

Back